The list of adware that was designed to specifically hit Macintosh system is getting longer especially with the addition of new member called DefaultProgress. This type of computer threat is carried around by different dubious freeware or shareware. Mac users may get hold of this application via sites that does not count as trusted software provider. Therefore, it is vital to download freeware only from trusted sources to avoid getting the DefaultProgress adware.
The moment that DefaultProgress app is inside the Mac computer, users are going to encounter different kinds of troubles on their internet browser program. Here is some of it:
Pop-up advertisements – Significant amount of advertisement are going to flood the screen if the browser is infected with DefaultProgress. Like older versions as General Section and Dynamic Improvement, this new threat was made in the same objective of generating online profit through ad display.
Browser redirects – In relation to pop-up ads, DefaultProgress is also capable of redirecting browser program to different sites. It aims to generate online revenue by referring internet traffic to client’s websites.
Software freezes – DefaultProgress adware runs different tasks on the browser that is known to be using huge amount of system resources. Because of this, the affected internet application may have hard time processing the commands, which may result to software freezes. At times, this situation may end up on crashing the browser program and operating system.
Browser alerts – Internet browser programs have built-in security features to inform users about malicious apps that are trying to access sensitive information stored on the browser. In that case, Mac user may receive a warning that DefaultProgress is attempting to collect personal data such as IP address, username, contact details, and so on.
Search hijacking – DefaultProgress adware is able to hijack the default search engine to track web user’s online searching activities. It replaces the current preferences on the browser and appoints Yahoo to reveal the final search outcome. Some Mac user dubbed this as Yahoo redirect virus.
Eliminating the Threat
It is a fact that DefaultProgress app is a threat to online user’s privacy and security. Web users may end up visiting malicious websites that are common sources of viruses, adware, or malware. Its tracking capabilities are endangering web user’s private data. Once attackers were able to get hold of the personal information, they may misuses it on other online fraudulent activities. These are the main reasons why computer security experts are advising to remove DefaultProgress as soon as it was spotted on the browser.
Procedures in getting rid of this suspicious browser extension are outlined below. Be sure to scan the computer with recommended anti-malware and anti-virus tools to delete even hidden items associated with DefaultProgress adware.
Procedures to Remove DefaultProgress from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like DefaultProgress. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing DefaultProgress.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete DefaultProgress from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find DefaultProgress or any unwanted program.
4. Drag DefaultProgress to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to DefaultProgress
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located DefaultProgress, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed DefaultProgress
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- General Section, Dynamic Improvement
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing DefaultProgress to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- General Section, Dynamic Improvement
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to DefaultProgress adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including DefaultProgress.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, DefaultProgress is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove DefaultProgress from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove DefaultProgress from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing DefaultProgress. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace DefaultProgress settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by DefaultProgress. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select DefaultProgress or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with DefaultProgress.