Cuttinsledge is in the category of potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is presently targeting Mac OS computer system. Its own website suggests that it can install application the easy way via the Cuttinsledge downloader. There is also a part of website that describes this program as a network that specializes in distribution of various Mac software.
To be more precise, we can identify Cuttinsledge as an adware that bundles itself with other unwanted program and deploy in a manner not common to legitimate software. Hence, Cuttinsledge may arrive on the computer even without user’s approval. By using stealthy installation method, it can bypass any installed security programs and security products.
Cuttinsledge gets installed on Mac OS browser as extension. It alters browser program, making Search.Cuttinsledge.com as the default homepage and search engine. To keep itself intact inside the computer, it will place various files and commands on the system so that it can reinstate all custom settings during program start-up. This is one reason why some users are having difficulty in removing Cuttinsledge from Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox. In such cases, using a powerful anti-malware tool is advise to find and delete deeply hidden adware objects.
Aside from homepage and browser redirect issues, Cuttinsledge may also endanger the online privacy of victims. It was designed to log any browsing information gathered from internet programs. Data it may collect includes visited web sites, search keywords, and personal information. Gathering other related records that can be use for online advertising is another thing this adware can do.
As you can see, Cuttinsledge is too risky to have on your Mac system. We highly suggest immediate removal of this adware. Execute the guide below to ensure complete removal of Cuttinsledge. Scan the computer with efficient anti-malware tool to locate and automatically delete malicious files and codes from the system.
Online Security Scanner Report for cuttinsledge.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Oct. 19, 2017|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No Data||Oct. 19, 2017|
|Currently safe||Feedback: No Data||Oct. 19, 2017|
Procedures to Remove Cuttinsledge Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
QuickFix: Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Cuttinsledge
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Cuttinsledge, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Cuttinsledge
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
– Cuttinsledge, InstallMac, Manroling, Genieo, Inkeeper
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Cuttinsledge to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Cuttinsledge.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Cuttinsledge.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Cuttinsledge is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Cuttinsledge from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Cuttinsledge.
4. Go to Safari Menu and then select Preferences from the list.
5. On Default search engine section, select the desired search engine from the list to override Cuttinsledge custom search engine.
6. Next, make sure that “New windows open with” is set to Homepage. Adware may alter this and set it to open to unwanted webpage.
7. Then, on Homepage field, type the URL of your desired Homepage.
Optional: Reset Safari Browser
If the above procedures did not help in eliminating Cuttinsledge on your Safari browser, resetting it to default value may be the best solution. Be aware that there is no way to reverse this process once executed.
1. Go to Safari Menu. Select Reset Safari from the list. This will open a window showing applicable items.
2. It is better to maintain the pre-selected items.
3. Click on Reset button to totally clear all the configurations made by Cuttinsledge. Please restart Safari browser.