Custom Search is presented as browser extension that enhances user’s online experience. It is offering easy access to change between search engines and present stunning images that can be set as browser wallpaper, which display refreshing view each time you open a new browser window. A notion that Custom Search is a valuable tool is common to ordinary computer users who are attracted to its features. However, basing from its intrusive methods in gaining access to the browser, it can be categorized as potentially unwanted program (PUP).
Unwanted browser extension like Custom Search typically sneaks onto the computer along with freeware or shareware that users can acquire from a number of online providers. While users found the freeware essential to be installed on the computer, bundled PUP like Custom Search is involuntarily loaded. Adware makers are taking advantage of this software bundling scheme to spread their creation and get it installed while bypassing user’s authority.
In this particular sequence of intrusion, it is very noticeable that the added unwanted extension is New Tab by Custom Search (see image below). The outcome of this unsolicited installation resulted to modification of homepage and new tab settings that will reveal graphical wallpaper and a Custom Search Menu. No imminent risk is seen with these changes. However, when using the search engine, it is noticeable that redirects are occurring before it displays the actual search results on Bing or Yahoo. As previously discussed, adware makers are utilizing dubious browser extension and questionable search tool to monitor user’s online browsing activities and extract vital information from it. Collected data can be misuse by attackers to display personalized ads and generate revenue from this fraudulent act.
It is obvious that Custom Search is causing online security and privacy risk. Therefore, it is recommended to remove it from the browser using the procedures below. The removal procedures is also helpful in restoring internet program to its previous clean and secured state.
Custom Search Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Custom Search.
Remove Custom Search Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find New Tab by Custom Search or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Custom Search Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Custom Search and remove it from the browser.
Delete Custom Search Extension from Safari
1. Run Safari browser application.
2. Click on Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the window.
3. Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
4. On Extension window, select Extensions tab.
5. Select Custom Search or relevant entry and remove it from Safari.
6. Lastly, go to Safari Settings once again and select Downloads from the drop down list.
7. If Newtabbycustomsearch.safariextz is present, click on Clear button to remove the unwanted extension.
Remove Custom Search Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Custom Search from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Custom Search is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Custom Search or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2: Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to Custom Search.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 3: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Custom Search on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Custom Search.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Custom Search.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.