CryptXXX Ransomware is a dangerous ransom virus which was made to lock your computer and deny access to your own files. Just like other ransomware, this new threat will encrypt certain files on the computer. It also changes file extensions to .crypt and demand payment before you can regain access and reverse these changes. It demands user to pay an amount of Bitcoins which is equivalent to US $500.
Normally, CryptXXX virus attacks a computer with the help of another malware, Trojan, or virus. It find flaws on the system which it will utilized as an entry point so that the process is hidden to most antivirus programs. In fact, once CryptXXX Ransomware is inside the PC, it instantly disables any security function running on the target computer.
The lock window contains the following messages:
Your files are encrypted.
To get the key to decrypt files you have to pay 500 USD.
If payment is not made before (date) the cost of decrypting files will increase 2 times and will be 1000 USD.
CryptXXX virus looks for important files like documents, spreadsheet, images, music, and videos. Two new documents is then added which gives instructions to users on how to decrypt affected files. In addition, CryptXXX blocks access to certain web sites especially security pages where you can download tools and utilities that are useful in cleaning the PC from threats.
System Restore of Windows may help in resolving issues with viruses and malware. However, it will not settle problems with encrypted files. If your computer is running on Windows Vista/7 or later, perhaps ‘Previous Versions’ may help restore files from backup.
How to Remove CryptXXX Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove CryptXXX virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds CryptXXX Ransomware and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for CryptXXX Ransomware’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for CryptXXX Ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all CryptXXX Ransomware entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that CryptXXX Ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover CryptXXX Files Using Decryption Tool
1. Download the program Ransomware File Decryptor by Trend Micro.
RansomwareFileDecryptor Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. Save the file to your hard drive, Desktop, or any location.
3. Once the download completed, decompress the file and double-click to run.
4. If it prompts for End User License Agreement (EULA), please Accept to proceed.
5. The tool will launch the main user interface. Click on Select button.
6. Under “Select Ransomware Name“, please choose CryptXXX. Then, press OK to save your choice.
7. On main interface, click on Select & Decrypt button. See image below for reference.
8. Select a file or Folder that was encrypted by CryptXXX. This tool can either decrypt single file or all files inside the folder and sub-folders.
9. This CryptXXX decryptor tool will start scanning the computer and immediately decrypt files. Recovery time may vary depending on quantity of affected files and folders.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to CryptXXX Ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by CryptXXX Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by CryptXXX Ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to CryptXXX Ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.
Option 3: Decrypt .CRYPT file with RannohDecryptor
1. Download the tool and save it to your Desktop.
RannohDecryptor Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. Launch the program and change Drive settings if necessary.
3. Click on Start Scan. It will prompt you to choose location for .crypt files as well as original copy.
4. The tool will begin searching for .crypt files and decrypts them.