CryptoMix MOLE66 is a new variant of ransomware which is also known as CrypMix. Similar to most ransomware, this new variant is using an RSA encryption algorithm, which requires a private key in order to decrypt affected files. However, attached _Help_Instructions_.Txt file did not state how much victim have to pay to obtain the key. To get the full file recovery procedures, e-mail must be sent to attacker containing the corresponding ID. The full message of the text reads:
!!!All your files are encrypted!!!
What to decipher write on mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not move or delete files!!!!
—- Your ID: 5338f74a-3c20-4ac0-9deb-f3a91818cea7 —-
!!! You have 3 days otherwise you will lose all your data.!!!
Other Cryptomix versions are identifiable with unique extensions like .REVENGE, .Cryptoshield, .PIRATE, and so on. This time, it appends the file to .MOLE66 extension preceded by random characters. The actual files will have an extension similar to these – 2F4W81264175248E41YU152VFAA58.MOLE66.
Unfortunately, there is no tool or free file recovery for this .MOLE66 encrypted files as of the moment. We will update this guide as soon as decryption tool for CryptoMix MOLE66 is available.
How to Remove CryptoMix MOLE66
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove CryptoMix MOLE66 virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to CryptoMix MOLE66.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Stage 2: Double-check for CryptoMix MOLE66’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for CryptoMix MOLE66. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all CryptoMix MOLE66 virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that CryptoMix MOLE66 have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with CryptoMix MOLE66 Key
We will update this portion once CryptoMix MOLE66 Private Key is available. For the meantime, please try the following options to restore your files.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to CryptoMix MOLE66 virus infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by CryptoMix MOLE66
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by CryptoMix MOLE66.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to CryptoMix MOLE66 infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.