CryptLive ransomware virus is part of Dharma malware family. It is obvious at this point that cyber crooks are utilizing this virus to extort money from victims. CryptLive attacks solely focuses on locking important files on the infected computer by using a sophisticated algorithm that no ordinary programs can decrypt.
Usual cases of CryptLive ransomware infection reveals that victims often obtain it from spam email messages, cracked software, and even malicious advertisements that pop-ups from various questionable websites. Hence, majority of CryptLive victims asserts that the attack initiated promptly after opening email attachment that originates from supposed prominent organization, which they later found to be bogus.
The execution of CryptLive ransomware starts with the infection of various system files and followed immediately with data encryption. It searches the compromised system for vital user’s data like documents, spreadsheets, images, photos, databases, archives, and so on. Then, CryptLive will apply a complex encryption technique to deny users access to these files. Simultaneously, CryptLive ransomware virus appends the data with .LIVE file extension. In addition, the threat will notify user about the attack through ransom note file as Info.hta and FILES ENCRYPTED.txt that contains the following messages:
Welcome to CryptLive Support.
If you contacted us, most likely you need a decryption of files. We are ready to help you!
The cost of decrypting files is $1299. We accept payment at Bitcoin box office.
If you make payment within 24 hours after the first contact with us, you will be given a 15% discount. As a guarantee that we have a tool for decrypting data, you can send us 1 encrypted file up to 10 MB in size. The decryption process is automated.
This happens as follows:
After receiving payment from you, a program is sent to scan your files. After the scan is completed, a code will be assigned to the program, you will send us this code – then, we will send you a response code to decrypt the data.
There may be no available free tools to decrypt .LIVE files as of the moment. Hence, paying the ransom money to CryptLive developers is not advisable as it does not guarantee full recovery of files. Malware researchers insist that it is better to archive all encrypted files and wait for the release of CryptLive decryption tool coming from their legitimate sources.
How to Remove CryptLive Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove CryptLive virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup-[version].exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click the Finish button. The program should launch momentarily.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most complete scan method that will surely find any hidden malicious objects associated to CryptLive ransomware.
7. Finally, click on Start Scan begin checking the computer for malware and similar threats.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for CryptLive’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for CryptLive ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all CryptLive ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that CryptLive ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with CryptLive Decryption Tool
Tools that may decrypt files infected by CryptLive is not yet available at this time. We will update this section once the tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try the options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to CryptLive ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by CryptLive Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by CryptLive ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to CryptLive ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.