Coupon Finder is an ad-supported software (Adware) and likewise assumed as potentially unwanted program (PUP) whose cardinal aim is to overflow the browser window with too many pop-up advertisements. While it is promoted as a browser extension that offers online savings and deals, web users may meet unsolicited modification to the browser program, particularly on the home page and the search tool. Coupon Finder makes such substitute even without authorization from the online user.
As adware, Coupon Finder is competent of overseeing the browsing activities of internet users. It is equipped with tracking modules to register online data such as page views, preferred websites, search keywords and the geographic place of the web user. It has been observed that the actors behind Coupon Finder are going to dissect the information collected and use the result to exhibit custom ads in the browser program. This would result in an increased profit for Coupon Finder owners. As a result, aggressive pop-up ads is a disruption for web users from online browsing activities.
How Coupon Finder Sneaks Into the Computer
Makers of Coupon Finder manages to spread this adware in several methods. Hence, it is through software bundling hoax that it reaches the peak of contaminating the internet browser programs including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. These malicious software bundles are often downloaded by computer users from distrustful file-sharing sites, torrent portals, and aggressive pop-up advertisements offering software update or valuable browser extension.
Effects of Coupon Finder
As we already know, Coupon Finder is listed under the classification of adware. Meaning, part of its operation includes the showcasing of advertisements on the browser in order to gain profit, which is what the authors desire for making this application. Unknown to many computer users, adware like Coupon Finder is also capable of tracking web user’s browsing activities and it can record data like search keywords, visited online pages, and favorite websites of online users. As such, Coupon Finder is a threat to web users online privacy and security.
CouponFinder Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete CouponFinder Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to CouponFinder.
Remove CouponFinder Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find CouponFinder or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall CouponFinder Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to CouponFinder and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that CouponFinder is also gone from the homepage.
Remove CouponFinder Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of CouponFinder from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If CouponFinder is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select CouponFinder or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove CouponFinder automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like CouponFinder that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like CouponFinder.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to CouponFinder and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the CouponFinder browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of CouponFinder on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by CouponFinder.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to CouponFinder. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by CouponFinder. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with CouponFinder. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from CouponFinder. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of CouponFinder.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed CouponFinder extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to CouponFinder. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. CouponFinder should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by CouponFinder and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.