CompariShop is an adware that claims to provide enhance online shopping experience. This Mac-based extension may give easy access to coupon codes, discounts, deals, and other promos directly on the browser’s interface. At first, users find it worthy to have, but annoyances follows when it starts to display loads of advertisements. Some even deemed CompariShop as one type of computer virus.
Just like most of its variants, CompariShop gets inside the computer by means of freeware and shareware. Third party applications and suspicious software updates is also an accomplished to potential distribution of CompariShop. Once user executes any of these software, CompariShop begins a stealthy installation and immediately adjust certain settings on browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox.
This adware will employ browser helper object to initiate own routine when user runs affected internet programs. It monitors browsing habit and issues coupons and other online offers that are significant to the data it has gathered. For example, if user is searching the web for Laptops, CompariShop will issue various advertisements, offers, discount, and promos relevant to this product. On the other hand, links it produces are just placed to mislead users into visiting suspicious websites and bogus offers.
As you can see, there are risks on utilizing CompariShop. Aside from being in the family of Adware or potentially unwanted program (PUP), this browser extension causes inconvenience to your online browsing activities. Thus, we highly suggest immediate removal of CompariShop. Below is our complete instruction to get rid of the adware easily. Do not forget to scan your Macintosh system with effective anti-virus and anti-malware tools as recommended in the guide.
Online Security Scanner Report for comparishopmac.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Nov. 18, 2017|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Nov. 18, 2017|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Nov. 18, 2017|
Procedures to Remove CompariShop Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix : Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to CompariShop
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. CompariShop, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located CompariShop, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed CompariShop
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the CompariShop to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to CompariShop.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including CompariShop.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, CompariShop is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove CompariShop from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from CompariShop.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override CompariShop custom search engine.