It’s risky to use the browser extension known as CommerceHarbor. As an internet software add-on, it can be installed on a Mac even without approval. Because it enters the computer via malicious software installer, the majority of its occurrences occur without the consent of Mac users.
Such adware is frequently included in harmful freeware, shareware, or independent application downloads from dubious file sites. The CommerceHarbor app has been successfully deployed using this software bundling technique, including earlier versions like FractionInterface, CommandAccess, and much more. There will be a variety of abnormalities that users may experience as soon as it is operational on a Mac computer, including the following:
Hijacking the homepage – Adware like CommerceHarbor has the ability to bypass browser preferences and change the default homepage on its own. This is now the most visible indication of infection because the newly allocated homepage typically advertises an unidentified search tool with a distinctive page layout.
Search engine manipulation – When a Mac user conducts an internet search, the CommerceHarbor app’s chosen search engine will manage every part of this feature. As a result, do not anticipate getting a relevant and precise search result because CommerceHarbor and other adware are not interested in offering either.
Illegal data tracking – A monitoring element was built into every piece of adware. Once they are set up, this computer threat begins to monitor how users interact with the internet. Important information, including frequently visited URLs, bookmarks, search terms, IP address, and browser version are likely to be recorded by adware. The gathered data are occasionally transferred to the site designated by the attacker.
Pop-ups and redirects – As soon as CommerceHarbor has collected enough information from the computer, it begins to display adverts. Due to the advertising being specifically targeted to the consumers’ online tastes, there is a significant likelihood that people will click on them. As a result, it is very likely that a Mac user will acquire malware. Keep in mind that advertisements from adware like CommerceHarbor frequently contain links that direct users to dangerous websites.
Get rid of CommerceHarbor adware
Knowing how bad it is to have CommerceHarbor app on Mac computer, there is no other option but to remove it once existence was observed. In addition to the annoyances mentioned above, the presence of this adware may cause the browser to display an alert stating that “CommerceHarbor will damage your computer.” Please see the next section for a detailed list of actions to take to eliminate this danger. You can scan the machine with the virus and malware removal tools that are also included.
Procedures to Remove CommerceHarbor from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like CommerceHarbor. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing CommerceHarbor.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete CommerceHarbor from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find CommerceHarbor or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag CommerceHarbor to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to CommerceHarbor
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located CommerceHarbor, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed CommerceHarbor
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Commerce Harbor App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing CommerceHarbor to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Commerce Harbor App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to CommerceHarbor adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including CommerceHarbor.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, CommerceHarbor is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove CommerceHarbor from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove CommerceHarbor from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing CommerceHarbor. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace CommerceHarbor settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by CommerceHarbor. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select CommerceHarbor or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with CommerceHarbor.