Disclaimer: The subject on this post is a fake tool called ComboCleanerPro. This is not in any way related to legitimate program named Combo Cleaner with official website at https://www.combocleaner.com/
ComboCleanerPro is a rogue security application for Mac that misleads users by claiming itself as useful utility, which keeps the computer clean and clutter free. Another deceiving technique by cyber crooks behind this counterfeit software is to imitate the name of the legitimate Combo Cleaner, a trusted security app for Macintosh. Therefore, we can concur that ComboCleanerPro is an impersonator that Mac user must get rid from the computer to prevent any further damage that it may cause.
The entry of this fake ComboCleanerPro on Mac system is often without willingness of user. It is carried out by several software bundling hoax that are offered by several advertisements as software updates. On some instances, Mac user may download this fake ComboCleanerPro upon clicking on links exhibited by fake online virus scanners that pop-ups on the browser when visiting malicious web pages.
Once fully installed on Mac computer, ComboCleanerPro runs a thorough system scan and identifies several areas of improvement that it presented on its own specific section as cache manager, miscellaneous cleaner, logs manager, and extra languages. However, only way to access and execute these features is by unlocking ComboCleanerPro that requires activation payment amounting to $118.56 covering the subscription for 24 months period.
The truth is, Mac user does not need ComboCleanerPro in the first place. Aside from being dubbed as malicious and rogue tool, features from this software are totally useless. There is still no proof that running such utility can really boost startup speed and overall system performance. Therefore, removing ComboCleanerPro is suggested. Complete guide to get rid of the threat and clean the computer is provided on the next section.
Procedures to Remove ComboCleanerPro
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like ComboCleanerPro. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ComboCleanerPro.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects ComboCleanerPro rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit ComboCleanerPro Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close ComboCleanerPro window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for ComboCleanerPro. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to ComboCleanerPro. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete ComboCleanerPro Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs ComboCleanerPro during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs ComboCleanerPro.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select ComboCleanerPro from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if ComboCleanerPro Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete ComboCleanerPro Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ComboCleanerPro or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the ComboCleanerPro to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ComboCleanerPro
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ComboCleanerPro to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including ComboCleanerPro.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, ComboCleanerPro is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.
Post Last Modified On June 21, 2020