CM Addon advertisements begin to pop-up on the computer if an adware was installed by user purposely or without intent. The fact that adware often disguise as a useful program, most users are not aware for the installation of its component. Without user’s knowledge, CM Addon virus will be installed on the computer alongside with the downloaded program. You can never expect the anti-virus software may identify the threat. Most often, this type of attack is categorically deemed as adware. Thus, many security tools will not show an alert even if it tries to invade the browser.
Once this adware is on the computer, you will begin to experience pop-up ads with label “Click to continue > by CM addon“. Some victims also reported sudden redirect of any requested page to unwanted web sites. This happens rapidly. Before user can react, browser is already pointed to various web site that promoted products and services. As you can see, CM Addon is not the infection itself. It was rather an Internet server being utilized by malware authors to spread an array of useless software and potentially unwanted programs.
Main motif of adware authors for using CM Addon services is purely to promote their programs. It is still favorable for end users like you to keep away from pop-up ads such as this one. If it appears on the computer, immediately run a scan of anti-malware and adware removal tools to remove nasty objects inside the computer.
How to Remove CM Addon
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall CM Addon
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove CM Addon entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently. You may uninstall Advertising Support or any suspicious entries.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to CM Addon. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted CM Addon from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of CM Addon on the affected browser.