CheapMe browser extension is considered as part of adware. It is responsible for displaying various annoyances on the browser including pop-up ads, redirects, and banners. CheapMe is also part of some adware that pretends to be a useful tool once installed on targeted browser including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer.
Typically, CheapMe adware will arrive on the computer at your least expected. It is wrapped to third-party programs made available on certain web sites including reputable ones. Thus, you cannot always trust that popular web sites will give you clean and trustworthy files.
When CheapMe is installed, it will begin to alter settings on the browser. It drops add-on, extension, or plug-in. It will start as browser helper object for Internet Explorer, making it difficult to remove. CheapMe entities such as files and registry entries are also injected into the Windows system.
With the so many items inserted into the system, manually removing CheapMe is not advisable. You must scan the computer with various tools and scanners to ensure that complete removal will be executed. It is observed that CheapMe is also closely working with another adware SafeSaver, thus, removing both could solve troubles from the PC more effectively.
CheapMe Removal Procedures
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall CheapMe
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove SafeSaver, CheapMe, Enhanced Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to CheapMe. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted CheapMe from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of CheapMe on the affected browser.