If browser application on Mac like Safari, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox is manifesting various misbehaviors like homepage and search hijacking, it only denotes that computer is infected with a malicious application named CacheImprovment. Technically, the stated program is a browser extension and is being promoted as a tool that improves the online browsing and searching of Mac users. Unfortunately, that is not the case after the installation of the said app. Instead of being a helpful sofwtare, CacheImprovment is the basis for several browsing issues. In fact, its existence can lead to further computer troubles if not taken care of immediately.
Risks of installing CacheImprovment App
At this moment, Mac computer security experts are classifying CacheImprovment as potentially unwanted application (PUA). It is natural for this browser extension to sneak into the computer and be installed without the consent of Mac users. Once it is running in the internet browser application, the main objective it is going to accomplish is to replace the default search engine. This unwanted changes by CacheImprovment app will force the web user to utilize an unknown search tool. As such, obtaining accurate and useful search outcome would fall short as compare to using the default search engine of Mac users.
Code injected by CacheImprovment app on the internet browser program can produce a display of aggressive advertisements as pop-up ads, redirects, banners, and push ads. Bear in mind that aside from being annoying, these advertisements may hold harmful contents. Accessing the said ads could open up a browser window leading web users to malicious sites that often have adware or malware. Visiting such site may result to the involuntary download of other adware such as PreferenceFind, InitialDevice, OpticalPartition, and the list goes on.
How to avoid CacheImprovment
The stated malicious browser extension is frequently embedded to questionable freeware or shareware. Mac users may accidentally download the program from dubious online advertisements. There are also cases that some are voluntarily downloading the apps because they get attractive with it, especially free games, media player, utilities, creativity tools, internet speed booster, and so on. Once the setup is run, CacheImprovment app is secretly loaded into the browser without any indication about the attack.
After learning the sources of CacheImprovment, Mac users should stay away from malicious sites particularly file storage, freeware sites, and aggressive type of pop-up advertisements. It is highly recommended to protect the computer using efficient anti-virus or anti-malware tools that guards the intent connectivity and is capable of blocking the download of malicious application like CacheImprovment.
Procedures to Remove CacheImprovment from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like CacheImprovment. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing CacheImprovment.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete CacheImprovment from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find CacheImprovment or any unwanted program.
4. Drag CacheImprovment to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to CacheImprovment
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located CacheImprovment, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed CacheImprovment
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Cache Improvment Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing CacheImprovment to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Cache Improvment Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to CacheImprovment adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including CacheImprovment.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, CacheImprovment is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove CacheImprovment from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove CacheImprovment from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing CacheImprovment. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace CacheImprovment settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by CacheImprovment. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select CacheImprovment or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with CacheImprovment.