The term “adware” is short for advertising-support software, which was designed to bombard the browser computer with different advertisements. The threat is not only for PC users, but Mac operating is systems also vulnerable to this kind of attack and to site an example, we will be discussing the BrowserProduct adware, which was made specifically for Mac OS.
About BrowserProduct Adware
BrowserProduct is a kind adware, which is particularly targeting Mac computers. Developers designed this software to deploy advertisements or pop-ups. To market BrowserProduct, its operators introduces this program to enhance the way internet users browse their Mac by providing fast searches and reliable results. However, when BrowserProduct is running on the operating system, a well-behaved browser will somewhat change its operations maliciously. Misbehaviors on Mac computers will surely follow, after installing this program.
Effects of BrowserProduct
Right after the installation of BrowserProduct; instead of improving the operations of browsers on Mac computers, it will display ads in different forms such as pop-ups, coupons, or surveys. Such occurrences may definitely disturb the online users intended activity, especially on browser. Pop-ups could appear from the sides of the screen resulting to interrupt current activity of the browser. The most annoying part is, no matter how much the Mac user close those windows, it will keep exhibiting on the screen consistently.
This bothersome phenomenon is a very usual effect of adware on computers. Developers spread their adware program to generate revenue through the ads. Once an adware like BrowserProduct installed on the MAC computer, it can also execute unwanted tasks such as analyzing IP addresses, visited internet sites, viewed web pages, or even important data stored on the browser. It can threaten the cyber security of Mac users by selling such private information to third parties for other purposes.
How Mac users get the adware?
There are two most common way, which adware infiltrates successfully into the Mac OS. The first one is when Mac users download a freeware or shareware that quietly install adware like BrowserProduct without asking for permission. Such software was usually free of charge because it incorporates unwanted programs. The second way is by visiting compromised sites infected with an adware. Typically, such websites takes advantage of the vulnerability of Mac user’s browser to send a drive-by download, therefore BrowserProduct or any kind of adware will begin to infect the operating system.
Procedures to Remove BrowserProduct from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like BrowserProduct. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing BrowserProduct.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to BrowserProduct
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located BrowserProduct, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed BrowserProduct
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- ExtraWindow, LocalDefault
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing BrowserProduct to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- ExtraWindow, LocalDefault
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to BrowserProduct adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including BrowserProduct.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, BrowserProduct is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove BrowserProduct from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove BrowserProduct from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing BrowserProduct. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace BrowserProduct settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by BrowserProduct. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select BrowserProduct or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with BrowserProduct.