Bit Guardian Security is a Macintosh security application that can be considered suspicious due to the methods it utilizes to gain entry on Mac computers. It usually arrives on the system while pack to a number of downloadable freeware and shareware that questionable websites commonly offered to their visitors. Obtaining and installing such free application likewise loads Bit Guardian Security but the installation process on this rogue protection tool is discrete.
Official website asserts that Bit Guardian Security is a tool that comes with an overall security features that helps fight virus infections and performance slowdowns. Like most valid security products, this distrusted security app also offers three scanning mechanism such as real-time protection, web protection, and schedule scans. Even with these great features, Mac security enthusiasts are still not convince that protecting Macintosh system is the primary concern of Bit Guardian Security.
Unfortunately, it was discovered that Bit Guardian Security is part of infamous rogue family of PCVARK that is also the main author of notorious malware such as Mac Enhancer, Auto Mac Booster, Speedup Mac Pro, and so on. These programs were made specifically to swindle money from victims using scare tactics and misleading methods. Like previous variants, Bit Guardian Security also persuades users to purchase the registered version by employing system scan simulation and issuing fake results. In addition, Bit Guardian Security displays pop-ups bogus warnings and alert messages to further impose that Mac system is in great danger. The pop-ups also remind users to deal with the troubles with urgency and advise to repair the problems immediately by unlocking the full functionality of Bit Guardian Security via costly registered version.
It is very obvious that this tool was made solely to deceive users and generate profit through its fraudulent activities. Therefore, we suggest removing Bit Guardian Security if it is present on Mac computer. Complete guide to get rid of this threat is the topic on the next segment.
Procedures to Remove Bit Guardian Security
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Bit Guardian Security. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Bit Guardian Security.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Bit Guardian Security rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Bit Guardian Security Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Bit Guardian Security window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Bit Guardian Security. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Bit Guardian Security. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Bit Guardian Security Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Bit Guardian Security during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Bit Guardian Security.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Bit Guardian Security from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Bit Guardian Security Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Bit Guardian Security Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Bit Guardian Security or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Bit Guardian Security to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Bit Guardian Security
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Bit Guardian Security to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Bit Guardian Security
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Bit Guardian Security.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Bit Guardian Security is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.