Any program that resets the browser settings and observe the browsing activities can be classified as a browser hijacker. One example of this malicious software is called AwesomePackageTracker. Adware developers designed this adware to penetrate computers, modify the browser settings, and deliver unwanted ads and pop-ups. Aside from that, AwesomePackageTracker triggers browser redirects, which connect web users into the website they do not normally visit.
AwesomePackageTracker usually alters the default search engine, home page, and new tab window of the browser. The threat executes this operation in order to promote its own web page by assigning Awesomepackagetracker.com as the new settings of startup page. Once the browser is infected with AwesomePackageTracker, intrusive ads and pop-ups start to display while web user is online. As a result, it will distract online activities diminishing the browsing experience and decreasing the productivity of web user.
The presence of AwesomePackageTracker can severely complicate the web user’s browser-related work and computer performance. Further effects of AwesomePackageTracker includes the following:
- The web browser features are blocked.
- While doing an online search, queries fail to proceed through normal search engines.
- There will be constant pop-ups or redirects while surfing the web.
- Certain browser configurations are inaccessible.
Ignoring the bad effects of AwesomePackageTracker can also lead to penetrations of additional unwanted programs that may cause contamination to the operating system. It can possibly happen since AwesomePackageTracker can make the computer vulnerable to malware attacks. Clicking ads or pop-ups may activate the installation of malicious software to the computer. Therefore, the longer AwesomePackageTracker stays on the computer, the higher risk it can impose.
The best remediation to these issues is to uninstall AwesomePackageTracker from the computer immediately. There are legitimate anti-malware programs available that the web user can use to remove unwanted software from the computer. In addition, prevent intrusions of potentially unwanted programs like AwesomePackageTracker. They can penetrate computers without permission. AwesomePackageTracker is usually bundled with other programs on the installation. Always use the “Advanced” or “Custom” options. In that way, web user can block the access of unwanted software.
AwesomePackageTracker Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to AwesomePackageTracker.
Remove AwesomePackageTracker Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find AwesomePackageTracker or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall AwesomePackageTracker Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to AwesomePackageTracker and remove it from the browser.
Delete AwesomePackageTracker Extension from Safari
1. Run Safari browser application.
2. Click on Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the window.
3. Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
4. On Extension window, select Extensions tab.
5. Select AwesomePackageTracker or relevant entry and remove it from Safari.
6. Lastly, go to Safari Settings once again and select Downloads from the drop down list.
7. If Onlinemanualsapp.safariextz is present, click on Clear button to remove the unwanted extension.
Remove AwesomePackageTracker Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of AwesomePackageTracker from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If AwesomePackageTracker is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select AwesomePackageTracker or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of AwesomePackageTracker on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by AwesomePackageTracker.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to AwesomePackageTracker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like AwesomePackageTracker.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like AwesomePackageTracker.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to AwesomePackageTracker and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Stage 4: Remove Awesomepackagetracker.com Pop-up Notification
These procedures in stopping Awesomepackagetracker.com pop-up notification may only be effective if relevant extension do not exist on the browser. If ever there is a relevant extension currently installed, this push notification configuration will reinstate during browser start-up. So, make sure that you have removed any malicious extension from the browser before executing the following steps.
For Google Chrome Users
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following strings in the address box and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings/content/notifications
3. Navigate to “Allow” section and find Awesomepackagetracker.com from the list.
4. Click on More Actions and select Block from the options.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox Users
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser program.
2. Type the following strings on address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences#privacy
3. Under Permissions section, click on Settings button beside Notifications.
4. Look for Awesomepackagetracker.com and set the status to Block.
5. Lastly, click Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from AwesomePackageTracker
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If AwesomePackageTracker is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete AwesomePackageTracker
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete AwesomePackageTracker, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by AwesomePackageTracker and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. AwesomePackageTracker should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove AwesomePackageTracker from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.