AnalyticParameter is an adware that infects browser programs operating on Mac OS environment. This threat was observed to have intrusive attributes and can get inside internet program even without the approval of Mac user. Once it is installed as browser extension, Mac users will begin to encounter various distractions like pop-up ads and redirects forcing an unintentional visit to harmful pages. Because AnalyticParameter app effects are too disturbing and may cause harm, it is recommended to avoid any of the sources where its infection often emerges.
How AnalyticParameter infects Mac?
Unknown to many Mac users, they play big part on how AnalyticParameter manages to enter the computer. Although they are not aware, their careless download and installation of freeware or third party software gave way for AnalyticParameter to be loaded as browser extension. Adware like this is frequently embedded as add-on to attractive freeware like games, utilities, media player, file converter, download manager, internet speed booster, and many more.
Just like OptimalState and DominantMapper, AnalyticParameter gets onboard during the setup process. While Mac user is busy installing the freeware, this adware runs a discreet installation behind their watch. Therefore, the sudden appearance of AnalyticParameter app comes as a surprise and most Mac user believed that this is some form of virus infection. Fortunately, AnalyticParameter is considered as malicious browser extension and do not possess the hazardous traits of computer virus.
Symptoms of AnalyticParameter infection
When AnalyticParameter app or any adware of some sort enters the computer, Mac user will experience something unusual on the device especially on the affected internet program and here are some of them:
- There will be excessive display of pop-up advertisements promoting questionable websites or products.
- Persistent browser redirects that can land the browser to malicious online pages.
- When doing an online search, Mac user may witness series of redirects prior to search outcome.
- Homepage and new tab will have a new layout, search bar, and URL.
- Unknown toolbars will be added to internet software.
- Diminishing performance of the internet software due to unnecessary internet transmission.
To eliminate the said negative effect on the browser, Mac user must perform the removal of AnalyticParameter app. Procedures to accomplish this task are outlined on this page together with anti-virus and anti-malware scanners.
Procedures to Remove AnalyticParameter from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like AnalyticParameter. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing AnalyticParameter.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete AnalyticParameter from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find AnalyticParameter or any unwanted program.
4. Drag AnalyticParameter to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to AnalyticParameter
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located AnalyticParameter, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed AnalyticParameter
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- OptimalState, DominantMapper
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing AnalyticParameter to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- OptimalState, DominantMapper
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to AnalyticParameter adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including AnalyticParameter.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, AnalyticParameter is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove AnalyticParameter from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove AnalyticParameter from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing AnalyticParameter. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace AnalyticParameter settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by AnalyticParameter. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select AnalyticParameter or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with AnalyticParameter.
Protect Mac from AnalyticParameter adware
After knowing that the origin of this threat is through malicious software bundles, Mac user can easily thwart the infection by avoiding its sources. Stay away from questionable websites that commonly displays pop-up advertisements pushing for the download and installation of malicious freeware.
In addition, never install applications from distrusted servers even if the app is offered as critical software update. It is still safe to download important program from the official website and authorized online partners.
Post Last Modified On October 14, 2020