There are quite significant amount of adware that are targeting Mac and these threats can operate undetected. Mac user may never realize the entry of malware due to its unnoticeable symptoms in the early stages of the attack. Because of this hidden instance, Mac user never got a clue that the malware is collecting several browser data like favorite websites, visited pages, username, passwords, IP address, and so on. On the time that the system gives a notice about this intrusion and when Mac user discovers the presence unusual app, it may be too late because the malware is already stuck on Mac device.
Even if Macs are armed with advanced security features, it is not surprising to learn that attackers can still penetrate the system. This is because, this attack targets the vulnerable Mac users who can easily be persuaded with attractive messages to have them access the hackers online pages that will eventually execute the malware. One example of this cleverly made threat is named AmpleApp.
More about AmpleApp
As a daemon file, Mac security experts knows that AmpleApp is a harmful object that common Mac user may have difficulty dealing with. Usually, this threat runs in a stealth mode and is quite not linked to other apps or programs. For example, AmpleApp could launch an attack that inflicts harm using separate malware like GlobalSearchSystem and TechResultsEngine. Though, there is also a possibility that it carries relevant threat and hazardous malware.
The existence of AmpleApp on Mac can lead to different annoyances because it can exploit the browser program for various illicit activities. As stated, the threat is notorious in stealing web user’’ data. In addition, the AmpleApp adware can override browser settings and replace Mac user’s preferences especially the default search engine. The homepage and search may display an unusual web address like Search.available.mac. Obviously, this is not the standard setup for any web browser application.
Signs of AmpleApp Infection
The most visible sign of the infection is when Mac security sends an alert about the existence of this threat. It could be an error message or pop-up warning like this:
“AmpleApp” will damage your computer.
This file was downloaded on an unknown date.
Report malware to apple to protect other users.
On the other hand, vigilant Mac users may notice the changes inflicted by AmpleApp especially if it commits an assault to homepage and search settings. On top of that, the threat may also cause the excessive display of pop-up ads and redirects on affected browser program.
If these symptoms are visible on Mac computer, user should deal with the malware at once. Below is a complete instruction to remove AmpleApp from Mac.
Procedures to Remove AmpleApp from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like AmpleApp. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing AmpleApp.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete AmpleApp from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find AmpleApp or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag AmpleApp to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to AmpleApp
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located AmpleApp, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed AmpleApp
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- AmpleApp Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing AmpleApp to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- AmpleApp Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to AmpleApp adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including AmpleApp.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, AmpleApp is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove AmpleApp from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove AmpleApp from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing AmpleApp. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace AmpleApp settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by AmpleApp. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select AmpleApp or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with AmpleApp.