Google Chrome extension AmazingFilms Search is promoted as useful tool especially when searching the web for movies, films, and similar information. It also claims to enhance online browsing experience via several features embedded on the extension. However, once AmazingFilms Search is installed, it implements certain changes on the browser even without authorization from user. Its presence will have great impact on homepage and default search engine. Both areas will have unwelcome search provider as shown in the image below.
It is not true that AmazingFilms Search enters the computer without user’s intervention as claimed by some security websites. This type of program is normally packed to a number of freeware. Therefore, you may have downloaded and installed free program that acts as transporter of AmazingFilms Search. Obviously, this unwanted extension loads itself into the browser while installing the freeware. This is the main reason why we always advise to run the install process in Custom or Advanced mode. Excluding the installation of bundled programs is possible when running this course.
If in case AmazingFilms Search has gotten itself inside the computer, we highly suggest removing it as soon as possible. This is the only way to bring back the browser to normal state. The same method can restore homepage and default search engine to previous setup. For a complete guide to get rid of AmazingFilms Search, please see the removal section below.
How to Remove AmazingFilms Search
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall AmazingFilms Search
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove AmazingFilms Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to AmazingFilms Search. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted AmazingFilms Search from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of AmazingFilms Search on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove AmazingFilms Search from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove AmazingFilms Search from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete AmazingFilms Search by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of AmazingFilms Search removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from AmazingFilms Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by AmazingFilms Search. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.