CrankWeb ads will show up annoying pop-up advertisements once its code is loaded into the browser. This adware targets users of browser like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. It is usually installed as add-on or extension and starts as browser helper object for Internet Explorer. Ads by CrankWeb appear when you start to surf the web and enhances its presence if it sense that user is visiting online shopping web sites.
Adware like CrankWeb was designed to gain online revenue. It aims to promote various products and services over the Internet. To generate online profit, the adware is utilizing pay-per-click scheme and doesn’t need to sell a product. Only web traffic referral is needed for its authors to earn money from this fraudulent scheme.
Third-party programs are the main source of CrankWeb. It is bundled to freeware, shareware, and other free software offered by various web sites. People behind CrankWeb adware are using various techniques to deploy the program and be installed without asking for user’s approval. Its sudden existence on the PC makes some people to judge CrankWeb as one kind of virus.
Generally, CrankWeb is an adware that was made in the sole purpose of earning profit through online advertisements. It does not harm any files on the computer and do not spread to other system. Even though is not as harmful as viruses, we still recommend removing CrankWeb from the computer.
How to Remove CrankWeb
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall CrankWeb
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove CrankWeb entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to CrankWeb. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted CrankWeb from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of CrankWeb on the affected browser.