Tom pop-up ads showing up on your favorite browser application can be due to adware infection. It was meant to deliver numerous advertisements in order to generate online profit. Normally, Tom adware is installed on the computer as browser extension. By targeting most used browser like Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, adware authors can guarantee widespread infection.
Adware that causes Tom ads is promoted as a tool that improves your Internet browsing. It comes in various titles and features. It may also gain recognition by masking as needed update for software like Adobe Flash or Media Player. Aside from third-party application, adware as Ads by Tom may come with a number of potentially unwanted programs. Imagine an adware bundled with quite a few of malicious program. All together, they were installed on your computer without asking for permission.
Once installed on the computer, Tom adware and its company alter various settings on the browser. This leads to display various advertisements, browser redirect, and home page hijacking. It easily manipulates configuration and preferences when setup as it should be. Tom can really bring-in so much trouble and irregularities. Overall system performance also suffers from bunch of applications running collectively.
If you are seeing Tom ads on the computer, better check if it is compromised. Adware or malware could be residing on the system. Aside from annoyances, this threat can also be the basis for risking your online privacy. Tom adware can monitor your browsing activities and logs every search queries you made. Scan the computer with efficient anti-malware tools given below.
How to Remove Ads by Tom Pop-up
This threat can run on the system just like any other installed software. However, adware and malware doesn’t allow user to easily remove its file in typical manner.
Normal uninstall procedure may not be sufficient in the case of this threat. Thus, it is important to scan the computer with efficient tools to find and delete hidden and concealed malicious entities.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Tom
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Tom, Genio, or SearchAgent entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to “Ads by Tom”. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted “Ads by Tom” from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of “Ads by Tom” on the affected browser.
Procedures to Remove Ads by Tom from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of Tom from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Tom
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Tom, SearchAssist, Genieo. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Tom, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Force Quit the Application:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit. In this case, try to look for Tom or Genieo.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. Proceed to the next steps to delete files and malicious objects.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Tom.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Adware linked to Ads by Tom is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5: Remove Tom Ads from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window linked to Ads by Tom.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override adware custom search engine.
Post Last Modified On January 30, 2017