Abext.tk or also known as Abext Search is a browser hijacker that is considered threat to computer security. This adware can change homepage with questionable search engine. If you noticed Abext.tk as part of internet browser application, it only implies that it is compromised. Homepage hijacker intends to replace your search engine so that it can issue ads on homepage as well as search result page. This can earn profit for adware publisher. However, it has no beneficial reward for end-users. Instead, they will be annoyed by too much display of advertisements. For that ground, many users deemed Abext.tk as part of virus attack.
In technical aspects, Abext.tk is not a computer virus. It may behave like a virus, but it is still classed as potentially unwanted program (PUP). Once it is inside, it can perform various modifications but it does not destroy files neither contaminate other items on the PC. Adware or browser redirect such as Abext.tk aims only on issuing ads and redirect web pages for moneymaking purposes.
Usual carrier of Abext.tk are third-party software, dubious links, and bogus software update. Either sources, the outcome of this browser hijacker is likely troublesome to victim. It hijacks the homepage and controls the settings on known browsers like Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox. It also forces user to utilize Abext.tk as default search engine. Browser redirect and pop-up ads are visible on affected browser continuously.
Although Abext.tk is not as hazardous as viruses or malware, removing this thing from the computer is highly recommended. It can still bring some security risks that may lead to further damage in the future.
Online Security Scanner Report for abext.tk:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||July 04, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No data||July 04, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||July 04, 2016|
Aside from the main website mentioned above, this browser hijacker also resolves to the following web address: adverta.xyz, advertt.xyz, cpacop.com, mdzelon.xyz, and sardavella.xyz
Abext.tk Browser Hijacker Removal Procedure
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Abext.tk home page hijacker. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Abext.tk. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Abext.tk. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Abext.tk Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Abext.tk from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Abext.tk on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Abext.tk
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Abext.tk. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Abext.tk. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Abext.tk home page hijacker should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Abext.tk and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see view instructions here.