GreatCoupon or also named as GrtSCouponApp extension is an adware program that infiltrate the computer by means of third-party program. This kind of software was made to generate revenue for its authors. GreatCoupon offers discount coupons, deals, and online savings to visitors but what you may get is unwanted advertisements. Furthermore, adware such as this can put your privacy at risk and can lead to identity theft if not taken care right away.
On the arrival of GreatCoupon, it drops files and registry entries on the system. Browser add-on, extension, and plug-in are likewise installed to allow the ads to show-up. Normally, ads by GreatCoupon will appear when user begins to surf online shopping web sites like Amazon, Ebay, Bestbuy, and so on. With its ability to monitor your browsing activities, this adware can display ads that can be attractive to you. It issues coupons that are relevant to your search queries.
With the add-on and extension running, even your security program can never stop GreatCoupon from issuing advertisements. As long as the PC is connected to the Internet, the adware remains on fetching more ads from its own server. The only way to stop GreatCoupon ads is to delete entirely this potentially unwanted program. Running a virus scan and scanning the computer with genuine anti-malware tools can be helpful in solving issues like this one.
How to Remove GreatCoupon
Quick Troubleshooting Guide for GreatCoupon
GreatCoupon has injected code into Chrome browser and User Profile is generally affected. Thus, deleting the current user profile prevents GreatCoupon from loading. Proceed with the following steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser and type chrome://settings/ on the address bar. Alternatively, please navigate to settings page through Customized and control Google Chrome (3 horizontal bar icon on upper left of browser).
2. Go to People area and click on X (Delete this item).
3. Next, confirmation will pop-up if you really want to delete the current user. Please click Remove to delete the infected User Profile.
4. Restart Google Chrome to have a new User Profile.
5. Proceed with the removal of malicious files and other items on the computer that is linked to GreatCoupon.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall GreatCoupon
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove GreatCoupon entry. The adware may also use distinctive name like GrtSCouponApp, Media Player, Video Player, or Enterprise Policy. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to GreatCoupon. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted GreatCoupon from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of GreatCoupon on the affected browser.