Questionable browser add-on RecordConsole targets internet apps on Mac OS computers only. Once RecordConsole is installed, a number of negative effects could occur, including the exposure of users’ personal information to hackers, the display of excessive advertisements, and the redirection of browser software to various malicious websites. Although most online users dislike downloading unfamiliar programs like RecordConsole, its developers have devised a number of sneaky distribution techniques that allow it to infiltrate Mac computers.
How does RecordConsole enter Mac?
Most Mac users do not knowingly have the RecordConsole software on their computer. However, they contribute to its installation when loading dubious software from risky places like rogue file-sharing websites, torrent clients, and software-cracked repositories. RecordConsole also runs a parallel setup while the suspicious shareware is being installed on a Mac, out of sight. To prevent any inconvenience, the installation of this supplementary program was purposefully made invisible.
Without a doubt, RecordConsole wraps up the integration with the target internet program, whether it is Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox, after the freeware has been installed completely. Even though it completes a covert installation without the Mac user seeing it, the installed security will not be blind to this adware invasion. In truth, a prompt from Mac OS stating that “RecordConsole” will harm your computer will appear a few seconds after the installation. The date on which this file was downloaded is unknown. To safeguard other users, alert Apple to any malware. Additionally, it claims that because the browser is managed by an organization, getting rid of the adware will be challenging.
Prevention and removal
The terrible part is that the operating system contains security features to prevent this occurrence, but they were always ignored. When Mac users install dangerous shareware, they are unaware that RecordConsole also loads along the route. A Mac user may have discovered a way to inspect the freebie inclusions and was able to prevent unneeded apps from installing by running the setup process in Advanced or Custom mode. By forgoing this safety measure of carefully examining the download software and continuing in the conventional manner, Mac users unintentionally loaded RecordConsole or any other comparable adware.
As previously indicated, the user has no choice but to delete RecordConsole from the computer because its presence on a Mac is not advantageous in any manner. For this reason, we created a straightforward yet useful guide along with a practical virus and malware scanner on this page.
Procedures to Remove RecordConsole from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like RecordConsole. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing RecordConsole.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete RecordConsole from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find RecordConsole or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag RecordConsole to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to RecordConsole
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located RecordConsole, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed RecordConsole
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing RecordConsole to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to RecordConsole adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including RecordConsole.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, RecordConsole is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove RecordConsole from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove RecordConsole from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing RecordConsole. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace RecordConsole settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by RecordConsole. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select RecordConsole or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with RecordConsole.