If there are unusual behaviors on internet browser program like unwanted replacement of the homepage and search settings, it is possible that adware is controlling its operations. In addition, adware is a browser threat that makes computer users online browsing miserable. It redirects pages to unnecessary websites and frequently pop-ups an advertisement that distracts web user’s online surfing activities. RealAccount is one adware that possesses these traits and the threat can harm the computer if not eliminated immediately.
RealAccount is an Adware
This adware emerges from a disreputable family of browser extensions that also created similar apps for Mac including CrossSign, ActiveProcess, and GenerateExplorer. The pattern of distribution remains the same and the attackers are employing several online tactics that revolves around a deceitful scheme. People who developed RealAccount extension however found much success of deployment when using software bundling hoax. This is a widely used method where RealAccount or any sort of adware is embedded to freeware and upload it to several online servers and acts as bait. It comes in an appealing package like free games, creativity apps, tools, media player, file converter, and so on. When a web user downloads and installs the adware carrier, RealAccount also installs on Mac computer even without authorization.
Once RealAccount app is fully installed on an internet browser application such as Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox, this adware will start to initiate modifications and injects several scripts. Mostly, adware like this is very much interested in taking over browser settings especially search engine. It assigns own search provider, which it claims is helpful in improving web users online searching experience because of its fast and accurate execution.
What to do with RealAccount extension?
It is worth to mention that Mac users have experienced an exact opposite to the claims of RealAccount app after installing the extension. Instead of providing useful search result, the outcome page supplied by RealAccount is filled with useless paid links and irrelevant advertisements. Moreover, it runs a series of redirects before revealing the final search result, which actually extends the processing time. Therefore, it is concluded that RealAccount extension is useless aside from the fact that it is considered as a computer threat. As a conclusion, removal of this unwanted browser application is necessary to restore security and privacy on Mac computer and internet software as well.
Procedures to Remove RealAccount from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like RealAccount. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing RealAccount.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete RealAccount from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find RealAccount or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag RealAccount to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to RealAccount
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located RealAccount, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed RealAccount
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Real Account App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing RealAccount to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Real Account App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to RealAccount adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including RealAccount.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, RealAccount is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove RealAccount from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove RealAccount from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing RealAccount. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace RealAccount settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by RealAccount. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select RealAccount or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with RealAccount.
RealAccount and "Managed by your organization" Policy
If the Google Chrome browser states that it is "Managed by the organization," it means that RealAccount has made drastic changes that resulted to this restriction. In this case, we need to revise the policy and it can be done by executing the following steps:
2. If there are currently running applications, please close all of them.
3. Unzip or extract the downloaded file.
4. Run the tool by double-clicking on “Chrome-Policy-Remover-for-Mac”.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser. Sometimes, a complete restart of the Mac computer is needed to complete the process.