PUP.Optional.Solimba is a method used in exposing a threat that may carry a payload of installing an advertising platform known as Solimba. It tries to monetize online traffic by focusing on the download market. Solimba’s partnership with other software authors makes this scheme so productive. This is what they have to say to software makers…
“If you are a software developer then Solimba provides you with the opportunity to let users download your applications during the installation process of other apps.”
As you can see, it is very similar to other revenue-generating add-ons for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. A Freeware and shareware maker uses this scheme to earn money by bundling other adware through Solimba. Software that you have downloaded identified as PUP.Optional.Solimba infected is bundled with other code from this company. In short, you will not be installing only the desired program but also be loading other software or adware into the PC.
So far, security experts dubbed PUP.Optional.Solimba as a harmful adware close to viruses and trojans. Other believed that Solimba is not harmful to the computer. It may be the root for annoyances as it promotes software and show ads but it is still acceptable in the online community.
We think that it is up to the web user whether or not to accept installation of programs and third party software through Solimba as long at it comes clean from the virus scan. But for us, sticking to known programs and efficient software is still the best option to avoid adware and other malicious applications. When antivirus program pop-ups a warning about PUP.Optional.Solimba, we highly suggest ceasing the download to avoid further harm.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.Solimba
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.Solimba and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.Solimba’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.Solimba. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.Solimba entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.Solimba have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Post Last Modified On August 28, 2013