It is normal for web users to encounter online advertisements especially when viewing sites where publishers need to gain some profit to support the operation of the site. However, if the display of advertisements is too excessive and it is meddling with browser activities such as persistent redirects, there may be unusual application that is controlling the internet software.
One of the suspicious browser extensions that can carry out the said disturbances on browser application is called PlatformCache.
Right now, PlatformCache app is promoted as browser extension that makes internet program performs better by enhancing its search tool. However, when applying this app, we noticed that it actually performs differently and browser performance demean that sometimes causes freezing. Worst is, too many browsing request of PlatformCache sometimes leads to software crashes and corrupts the internet application.
How PlatformCache Infects Mac?
PlatformCache is just a remake of TaskSample, AdjustableControl, and many more. These suspicious browser extension sneaks onto the computer with the help of freeware or shareware. Makers of PlatformCache are illegally making custom copies of certain popular freeware where the malicious app is injected. Installing the free software will never show hints about the simultaneous loading of PlatformCache app because the process usually runs in the background and Mac user only witness the setup process of the host program.
Another avenue for distributing PlatformCache over the internet is through deceitful ad campaign. Attackers are cleverly concealing the dubious app to software update files and offer it via misleading pop-up ads. Normally, web users may bump into these ads when visiting web sites that are involved in software and media piracy such as those that provide illegal media streaming and cracked programs. Pop-ups that would appear suggest the download and installation of software update as the outdated software can cause browser issues. Because the misleading pop-up was designed to appear as legitimate system alerts, many Mac users were tricked to install the fake update that allows the PlatformCache adware to get onboard.
Risks of PlatformCache Installation
Like nearly all adware, PlatformCache app was made to generate profit by exploiting the infected internet software. With this task, Mac users may be distracted with excessive display of ads and redirects. Furthermore, PlatformCache can produce too many pop-ups on the browser. In relation to its tactful ad campaign, PlatformCache was designed to gather browsing data such as search keywords, favorite websites, IP address, username, and passwords. The information collected from infected browser may help attackers to generate more profit by displaying personalized advertisements.
Mac user’s online privacy and security is at risk while PlatformCache is accomplishing its objective and therefore, we recommend immediate removal of this adware. Complete guide to get rid of PlatformCache including legitimate virus and malware removal tools are presented on the next segment.
Procedures to Remove PlatformCache from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like PlatformCache. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing PlatformCache.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete PlatformCache from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find PlatformCache or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag PlatformCache to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to PlatformCache
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located PlatformCache, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed PlatformCache
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Platform Cache App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing PlatformCache to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Platform Cache App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to PlatformCache adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including PlatformCache.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, PlatformCache is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove PlatformCache from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove PlatformCache from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing PlatformCache. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace PlatformCache settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by PlatformCache. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select PlatformCache or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with PlatformCache.