OriginalSearchManager is an unlikely browser extension for Mac that is targeting internet applications as Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This unwanted browser extension impart no benefit towards Mac user because it was made for selfish intention of exploiting the internet browser program to generate revenue through its own ad scheme. Therefore, if OriginalSearchManager is installed on the computer, Mac users are going to witness a barrage of advertisements on the browser like pop-ups and redirects.
OriginalSearchManager has several methods for discreetly penetrating the computer. In most usual infection cases, Mac user acquires the threat through malicious software bundles like freeware or shareware. This kind of threat carriers are frequently being offered on various distrusted websites and file repository platforms. Obviously, Mac users are not aware that OriginalSearchManager is embedded in the software they are downloading. Once the setup is initiated, OriginalSearchManager app secretly gets on-board and not a slight symptom of the infiltration may become visible.
Software bundling technique is just one of the various deployment method that makers of OriginalSearchManager are using. As support to the main distribution tactic, the unwanted program is likewise in the circulation of malicious advertisements while pretending as essential software update for Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, or Media Player. The ads can persuade online users without troubles by prompting that a software update is needed to eliminate detected issues and conflicts.
What happens after installing OriginalSearchManager app?
Once OriginalSearchManager is fully installed on the computer, Mac users are going to encounter different misbehavior on the internet program. One of the bad effect is the unnecessary redirects of internet browser program to suspicious sites like Search.locatorunit.co or Search.productivebrowser.com. Both are pretending as valid search engine but the reality is, these sites are controlled by cyber criminals and the operation is focused on data gathering activities. It collects various browsing data from computer users including search keywords, favorite websites, browsing history, username, passwords, IP address, and so on.
As stated in the beginning, Mac users gain no benefit from the existence of OriginalSearchManager on the browser. Aside from annoyances from various aggressive ad display, presence of this adware causes conflicts to internet program that sometimes trigger error messages and warning like “OriginalSearchManager Daemon will damage your computer.” Therefore, immediate removal of this unwanted application is recommended.
Procedures to Remove OriginalSearchManager from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like OriginalSearchManager. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing OriginalSearchManager.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete OriginalSearchManager from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find OriginalSearchManager or any unwanted program.
4. Drag OriginalSearchManager to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to OriginalSearchManager
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located OriginalSearchManager, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed OriginalSearchManager
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- LocatorUnit, ProductiveBrowser
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing OriginalSearchManager to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- LocatorUnit, ProductiveBrowser
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to OriginalSearchManager adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including OriginalSearchManager.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, OriginalSearchManager is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove OriginalSearchManager from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove OriginalSearchManager from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing OriginalSearchManager. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace OriginalSearchManager settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by OriginalSearchManager. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select OriginalSearchManager or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with OriginalSearchManager.