OpticalTransaction is a potentially unwanted application (PUA). It is also classified as adware that targets internet browser programs operating on Mac OS environment. Once installed, this threat can produce massive amount of advertisements that can distract Mac users online browsing. In addition, OpticalTransaction app is able to track browsing history, visited websites, IP address of web user, and other online data.
OpticalTransaction infection signs
Although the presence of OpticalTransaction is not too visible on Mac computer as compared to regular applications, this threat exhibits signs of unusual behaviors especially on browser programs. Some symptoms to identify if there is an OpticalTransaction infection include the following:
- Aggressive pop-ups may show up on the internet program.
- Persistent browser redirects that divert web pages to unknown websites.
- Homepage and new tab exhibits unwanted search engine.
- Online searching is hijacked by suspicious search provider.
- Unreliable and useless search results are produced when performing online search.
- Infected browser application pop-ups a warning that OpticalTransaction is trying to access private data.
The risks of having OpticalTransaction
Aside from being an annoyance, OpticalTransaction is an adware that was designed to dominate internet browser applications in order to complete its tasks. Actually, the main objective of this suspicious browser extension is to gain online revenue by exploiting the infected internet software. To elevate the profit from its ad scheme, makers of OpticalTransaction assures that the adware can track a web user’s browsing activities and therefore, it can log various information like search keywords, visited pages, favorite websites, username, password, and web user’s location.
To be able to display personalized ads, attackers are going to analyze collected data and publish advertisements that focus on a web user’s preferences. This targeted ad scheme will be more appealing to web users and for that, makers of OpticalTransaction app have higher chances of generating more revenue.
It is also noted that ads by OpticalTransaction are unusual marketing item draws from an underground ad network. Contents are mostly misleading and links were integrated to direct web users to harmful online pages that employs drive-by-download scheme to install malware on the visitor’s computer.
Mac computer is in total risks during the existence of OpticalTransaction app. Hence, the user should perform the removal of this threat as soon as possible to avoid more harm. Guide to eliminate the malicious browser extension is presented below. Make sure to execute the steps in exact order to achieve complete removal of OpticalTransaction app.
Procedures to Remove OpticalTransaction from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like OpticalTransaction. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing OpticalTransaction.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete OpticalTransaction from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find OpticalTransaction or any unwanted program.
4. Drag OpticalTransaction to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to OpticalTransaction
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located OpticalTransaction, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed OpticalTransaction
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Optical Transaction App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing OpticalTransaction to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Optical Transaction App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to OpticalTransaction adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including OpticalTransaction.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, OpticalTransaction is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove OpticalTransaction from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove OpticalTransaction from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing OpticalTransaction. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace OpticalTransaction settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by OpticalTransaction. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select OpticalTransaction or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with OpticalTransaction.