Unwanted changes on homepage settings, continuous display of pop-up ads, and persistent redirection of pages while browsing the internet are just some visible signs of an adware infection. Unknown to web users, there are unseen indicators that computer is infected with an adware and obvious ones are just the milder impact it causes to infected internet program. One malicious browser extension that is hazardous to online navigation tool is called OnlinePlatform. It possesses both the evident symptoms and similarly accomplishes hidden intentions once installed on the browser program.
The presence of OnlinePlatform does not stop with the domination of the internet browser program. It can kick off excessive display of advertisements that reroutes the browser pages to malware-hosting sites that can automatically download and execute additional threats.
Attackers have mastered several ways to propagate their creation without being detected by Mac users and local security applications as well. For one, they can perfectly integrate OnlinePlatform to a number of freeware that Mac users are downloading intentionally from several hosts. Once the setup runs on Mac computer, what user may see is the installation of the freeware and loading of OnlinePlatform was designed to be invisible. As such, the installation of OnlinePlatform is frequently without the authority of computer users.
Because adware makers are often relying on this software bundling technique, computer security professionals suggests pushing through with the Advanced or Custom installation method. On this procedure, Mac users may get to see the inclusions aside from the host application. Therefore, excluding unwanted application is possible and preventing the installation of potentially unwanted application (PUA) is very likely.
Sources of OnlinePlatform adware
As mentioned, OnlinePlatform and other adware in the same category commonly spread online via software bundling hoax. Therefore, we find that disclosing the sources of this malicious software package is important to totally prevent the spread of OnlinePlatform app.
Attackers commonly drive Mac user to visit the file-download server through the use of misleading advertisements. These are not ordinary marketing objects because the context is a bogus claim about identified outdated software on the computer. It prompts for immediate download of supposed software update and when Mac user follows the prompt, browser will be redirected to the location of the fake software update. Obviously, resuming with this adware trick will result to the installation of OnlinePlatform on the computer.
If OnlinePlatform is present on the browser, the right action would be to perform the removal as soon as possible. To help you with this task, we made a simple instructions on this page along with anti-virus and anti-malware scanners.
Procedures to Remove OnlinePlatform from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like OnlinePlatform. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing OnlinePlatform.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete OnlinePlatform from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find OnlinePlatform or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag OnlinePlatform to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to OnlinePlatform
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located OnlinePlatform, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed OnlinePlatform
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Online Platform App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing OnlinePlatform to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Online Platform App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to OnlinePlatform adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including OnlinePlatform.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, OnlinePlatform is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove OnlinePlatform from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove OnlinePlatform from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing OnlinePlatform. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace OnlinePlatform settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by OnlinePlatform. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select OnlinePlatform or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with OnlinePlatform.