ConfigBitProgress is an ad-supported or Adware-based software that targets specific Internet browser programs running on Mac OS. It has an intrusive mechanism to infiltrate the computer and aggressively attack Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Like other browser malware, ConfigBitProgress is sure to distract the Mac user’s search and online browsing activities. While this program claims that improving Mac user navigation is its area of expertise, users who install ConfigBitProgress have not seen this improvement. In fact, it interferes with their online activities.
Symptoms of ConfigBitProgress Infection
Once ConfigBitProgress is up and running on the browser program, the Mac user can see several unusual behaviors such as:
- Too many pop-ups will appear on the browser program.
- Internet pages continue to redirect to unknown sites.
- The home page will have a new formatting and a new URL.
- During a web search, visible redirections of a fraction of a second will be performed.
- There may suddenly be an extra toolbar on the browser.
- Reduced online browsing performance thanks to a redundant process through ConfigBitProgress.
Living the above-mentioned signs are not only tedious. Redirects can hijack browser pages to various questionable websites that may lead to downloading of fake apps or malware including similar threats as StandardNetworkSkill, MemoryField, and SearchServiceHelper.
How ConfigBitProgress infects Mac?
A number of propagation tactics are used to reach the target victims. Hence, the most favored is by the integration of ConfigBitProgress into various installation software like freeware or shareware. Once the Mac user runs this type of media, there will be a simultaneous set-up for ConfigBitProgress. When finished, this adware immediately attacks the browser and starts to dominate its operation.
Some Mac users say that the sudden appearance of ConfigBitProgress happens after downloading a fake software upgrade. They may have been tricked into downloading a bogus software upgrade. Actually, this pop-up software update is the latest trend in malware distribution. These are actually pop-up commercials that were done to appear as system alert. It makes the web user aware that the outdated program has been identified, and downloading the update is crucial. Of course, downloading this phony app will pave the way for ConfigBitProgress to seek refuge on a Mac computer.
How to protect Mac from ConfigBitProgress?
Since the majority of adware and malware sources are online, it is best to install a security application that keeps Internet transmission going. Security applications offering this protection is useful for blocking the possible download of malicious programs and is also effective at foiling a visit to dubious websites. In addition to having an adequate anti-virus or anti-malware tool, being vigilant while online is another effective way to prevent online threats. Never go to the suspicious site or download anything that aggressive pop-ups offer. They are common sources of on-line malware attacks. Also, never open an email attachment, particularly if it is unexpected and originated by a suspicious sender.
Procedures to Remove ConfigBitProgress from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ConfigBitProgress. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ConfigBitProgress.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ConfigBitProgress from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ConfigBitProgress or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ConfigBitProgress to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ConfigBitProgress
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ConfigBitProgress, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ConfigBitProgress
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Config Bit Progress
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ConfigBitProgress to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Config Bit Progress
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ConfigBitProgress adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including ConfigBitProgress.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, ConfigBitProgress is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ConfigBitProgress from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ConfigBitProgress from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing ConfigBitProgress. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace ConfigBitProgress settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by ConfigBitProgress. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ConfigBitProgress or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ConfigBitProgress.