ConfigBitProgress is an ad-supported or Adware-based software that targets specific Internet browser programs running on Mac OS. It has an intrusive mechanism to infiltrate the computer and aggressively attack Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Like other browser malware, ConfigBitProgress is sure to distract the Mac user’s search and online browsing activities. While this program claims that improving Mac user navigation is its area of expertise, users who install ConfigBitProgress have not seen this improvement. In fact, it interferes with their online activities.
Symptoms of ConfigBitProgress Infection
Once ConfigBitProgress is up and running on the browser program, the Mac user can see several unusual behaviors such as:
- Too many pop-ups will appear on the browser program.
- Internet pages continue to redirect to unknown sites.
- The home page will have a new formatting and a new URL.
- During a web search, visible redirections of a fraction of a second will be performed.
- There may suddenly be an extra toolbar on the browser.
- Reduced online browsing performance thanks to a redundant process through ConfigBitProgress.
Living the above-mentioned signs are not only tedious. Redirects can hijack browser pages to various questionable websites that may lead to downloading of fake apps or malware including similar threats as StandardNetworkSkill, MemoryField, and SearchServiceHelper.
How ConfigBitProgress infects Mac?
A number of propagation tactics are used to reach the target victims. Hence, the most favored is by the integration of ConfigBitProgress into various installation software like freeware or shareware. Once the Mac user runs this type of media, there will be a simultaneous set-up for ConfigBitProgress. When finished, this adware immediately attacks the browser and starts to dominate its operation.
Some Mac users say that the sudden appearance of ConfigBitProgress happens after downloading a fake software upgrade. They may have been tricked into downloading a bogus software upgrade. Actually, this pop-up software update is the latest trend in malware distribution. These are actually pop-up commercials that were done to appear as system alert. It makes the web user aware that the outdated program has been identified, and downloading the update is crucial. Of course, downloading this phony app will pave the way for ConfigBitProgress to seek refuge on a Mac computer.
How to protect Mac from ConfigBitProgress?
Since the majority of adware and malware sources are online, it is best to install a security application that keeps Internet transmission going. Security applications offering this protection is useful for blocking the possible download of malicious programs and is also effective at foiling a visit to dubious websites. In addition to having an adequate anti-virus or anti-malware tool, being vigilant while online is another effective way to prevent online threats. Never go to the suspicious site or download anything that aggressive pop-ups offer. They are common sources of on-line malware attacks. Also, never open an email attachment, particularly if it is unexpected and originated by a suspicious sender.
Procedures to Remove ConfigBitProgress from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer. Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To successfully remove ConfigBitProgress from your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Quick Fix : Scan the computer with the Combo Cleaner tool.
- Step 1 : Uninstall ConfigBitProgress from the Applications folder.
- Step 2 : Remove malicious browser extensions.
- Step 3 : Delete ConfigBitProgress files from your Mac computer.
- Step 4 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Step 5 : Remove ConfigBitProgress entries from internet browsers.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ConfigBitProgress. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ConfigBitProgress.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ConfigBitProgress from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find any unwanted programs or suspicious files (i.e., ConfigBitProgress.gqa, ConfigBitProgress.system). It may also disguise itself as a different file.
4. Drag the suspicious file to the Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ConfigBitProgress
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ConfigBitProgress, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ConfigBitProgress
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may use the following file names:
- Config Bit Progress, (random characters).plist
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ConfigBitProgress to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Config Bit Progress
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ConfigBitProgress adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including ConfigBitProgress.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and ConfigBitProgress is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ConfigBitProgress from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ConfigBitProgress from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the ConfigBitProgress setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace ConfigBitProgress settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by ConfigBitProgress. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ConfigBitProgress or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ConfigBitProgress.