When Mac user witnessed some changes on the browser and its usual function, it is advice to immediately look on the listed browser extension or add-on. It could be that an adware is interfering with the setup and it may have already overtaken the preference set by the web user. One adware that is adept in executing this unwanted browser modification is named MinimalEnergy.
Online ads and entities claim that MinimalEnergy is a valuable browser extension that contributes to the enhancement of online surfing and searching of Mac user. With that, it is anticipated that it targets known internet software that are operating on Mac OS computer including Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox.
Although good things are being said about MinimalEnergy, Mac user should know that it is just a promotional gimmick to mislead them. The fact is, MinimalEnergy is an adware that emerges from a family of adware and looking at the icon alone, we can clarify that this threat is just a remake of TeachPad, OperationReview, and many more variants. In that case, MinimalEnergy adopts the same principle of its predecessors and this threat is capable of executing unlawful actions once installed on browser application.
Legitimate ads and marketing strategies to promote MinimalEnergy are all useless because Mac user do not commonly obtain such unknown program. For this matter, authors of this unwanted software are relying on different tactics to distribute MinimalEnergy to random Mac users. Among the several deployment techniques, it was observed that the majority of Mac users were victimized by a malicious software installer that carries MinimalEnergy app.
In addition to software bundling hoax, malicious pop-up ads portraying as system warning are also contributing to the worldwide distribution of MinimalEnergy. This is actually a pop-up ad designed to appear as an alert that identifies obsolete programs that requires immediate updating. So, it prompts the user to proceed with the update only to deceive them into acquiring the MinimalEnergy app.
What to do with MinimalEnergy?
The infiltration technique of MinimalEnergy is already worrisome as it occupies the computer and internet browser program without due authority. Added to that, the presence of this adware can result to annoyances due to excessive display of advertisements. In connection with this, ads from MinimalEnergy are unusual and frequently contain malicious links that aims to direct browser pages to sites that hosts adware, malware, or computer viruses.
It is obvious at this point that the removal of MinimalEnergy app is the solution to restore the internet program to its previous normal working condition. To help Mac user with this intricate task, we made a simple instructions on this page along with efficient anti-virus and anti-malware tools.
Procedures to Remove MinimalEnergy from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like MinimalEnergy. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MinimalEnergy.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete MinimalEnergy from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MinimalEnergy or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag MinimalEnergy to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to MinimalEnergy
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located MinimalEnergy, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MinimalEnergy
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Minimal Energy App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MinimalEnergy to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Minimal Energy App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to MinimalEnergy adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including MinimalEnergy.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and MinimalEnergy is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove MinimalEnergy from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove MinimalEnergy from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the MinimalEnergy setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace MinimalEnergy settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by MinimalEnergy. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select MinimalEnergy or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with MinimalEnergy.