Matrix Start Tabs is a type of potentially unwanted program (PUP) modifying web browser settings beyond the computer user’s knowledge. Typically, Matrix Start Tabs changes the home page, new tab window, and default search settings of browser into an unwanted URL. Persistent advertisements and pop-ups will spam the browser after alterations. Aside from that, it can cause a redirection to malicious web destinations. Browser hijackers like Matrix Start Tabs commonly is capable of collecting data from infected internet software. It gathers valuable information that users entered on the computer like user name, passwords, and personal accounts.
Majority of browser hijackers are bundled with free software and loads them simultaneously during installation. Matrix Start Tabs possibly enters the computer by downloading a certain freeware from unsafe websites. There are instances that Matrix Start Tabs infiltrates the computer via embedded code upon visiting compromised sites. Such websites probably run the pop-ups or ads of Matrix Start Tabs. In some rare cases, developers endorsed Matrix Start Tabs as a legitimate program. In this way, online users get convinced to install Matrix Start Tabs on the computer.
Once Matrix Start Tabs infects the computer, it will try to remain on the system and removing it will be a challenge. What is serious about Matrix Start Tabs is that it can cause instability to the computer system. Matrix Start Tabs can disrupt the user’s browsing experience. This adware generates constant display of ads or pop-ups interrupting the online user’s activity. In addition, Matrix Start Tabs can cause browser redirection leading to websites that web users do not normally visit. It can also land the browser pages to relevant sites as Unit Conversion Tab, Weather Waves, and Map Assist.
How to avoid Matrix Start Tabs adware
Installing or running fully updated anti-virus software could prevent Matrix Start Tabs or any browser hijackers to invade the computer. Check or scan as often as possible to detect some malicious programs installed on the computer. Moreover, computer users should pay full attention to the installation process of certain freeware. There are installers that automatically include extra programs without notifying computer users.
Matrix Start Tabs Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the Adware from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting pop-ups and redirects.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of adware like Matrix Start Tabs through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Matrix Start Tabs, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Matrix Start Tabs adware including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Turn Off Sync on Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. In the address bar please type the following: chrome://settings/syncSetup
3. On Settings page, click the Turn off button to disable syncing Chrome settings between devices.
If in case that you don't want to stop syncing other sections like Apps, Bookmarks, History, Theme, and so on, please click on Manager what you sync. Next, select Customize sync. To successfully remove Matrix Start Tabs, you may disable only Apps and Extensions data. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
Step 2 : Delete Matrix Start Tabs or Suspicious Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Matrix Start Tabs. If it is not present, look for and delete any suspicious browser extension.
Remove Matrix Start Tabs Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Matrix Start Tabs or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Matrix Start Tabs Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Matrix Start Tabs and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles are gone from the browser.
Remove Matrix Start Tabs from Windows (Internet Explorer or Edge Browser)
1. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
2. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
3. Select Matrix Start Tabs or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
If Matrix Start Tabs is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open Internet Explorer program.
5. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Matrix Start Tabs from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete the same object from Search Providers section.
7. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Matrix Start Tabs automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful virus and malware removal tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering adware like Matrix Start Tabs.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove adware like Matrix Start Tabs.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Matrix Start Tabs and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Matrix Start Tabs adware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to the succeeding procedures below.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Matrix Start Tabs on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces annoying pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Matrix Start Tabs.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Matrix Start Tabs. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Matrix Start Tabs. If the adware still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Matrix Start Tabs. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Matrix Start Tabs. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Matrix Start Tabs.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Matrix Start Tabs extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Matrix Start Tabs. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Matrix Start Tabs should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Matrix Start Tabs and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.