When the browser app suddenly behaves maliciously, there is something wrong with the computer and presumably with internet program. If web user is being redirected to unfamiliar websites, there may be some adware that is manipulating the browser operation. Such instances may happen because there might be a browser hijacker implicating the computer. Browser hijackers are programs created to modify the web browser settings of the computer. Many browser hijacker programs are discovered infecting computers, and one example of it is called Locate Your Package.
About Locate Your Package
Locate Your Package is a malicious computer program that functions by replacing the existing home page, new tab page, and default search engine of the browser into its web address Locateyourpackagetab.com. The main objective of Locate Your Package is to promote its own web page in able to implant intrusive advertisements and pop-ups on the browser. In this way, Locate Your Package developers can generate income through the number of clicks on ads. However, ads from Locate Your Package can be very dangerous to the computer. Some ads are promoting scams, links of compromised sites, or even malicious software. There are advertisements that have embedded code, which automatically executes once clicked. Aside from that, through pop-ups, the web user might get redirected into websites that they do not intend to visit. Locate Your Package can trigger browser redirect that leads to sites that may contain harmful or infectious content.
Locate Your Package Adware Infection
Locate Your Package is a browser hijacker, which is also classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP). It is a common ability of unwanted programs to infiltrate computers without permission from users. Adware developers have various marketing strategies in order to spread their dubious programs. The most effective way is through software bundling scheme. This technique allows developers to incorporate their malicious software with other free programs. Freeware typically entails Locate Your Package or any malicious software. When the web user installs a certain free program, it might include Locate Your Package on the process. Therefore, the web user should check every step of the installation process and use the Advanced or Custom options to block any extra programs.
Locate Your Package Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Locate Your Package.
Remove Locate Your Package Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Locate Your Package or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Locate Your Package Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Locate Your Package and remove it from the browser.
Remove Locate Your Package Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Locate Your Package from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Locate Your Package is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Locate Your Package or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Locate Your Package on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Locate Your Package.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Locate Your Package.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Locate Your Package.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Locate Your Package.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Locate Your Package and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Stage 4: Remove Locateyourpackagetab.com Pop-up Notification
These procedures in stopping Locateyourpackagetab.com pop-up notification may only be effective if relevant extension do not exist on the browser. If ever there is a relevant extension currently installed, this push notification configuration will reinstate during browser start-up. So, make sure that you have removed any malicious extension from the browser before executing the following steps.
For Google Chrome Users
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following strings in the address box and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings/content/notifications
3. Navigate to “Allow” section and find Locateyourpackagetab.com from the list.
4. Click on More Actions and select Block from the options.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox Users
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser program.
2. Type the following strings on address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences#privacy
3. Under Permissions section, click on Settings button beside Notifications.
4. Look for Locateyourpackagetab.com and set the status to Block.
5. Lastly, click Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Locate Your Package
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Locate Your Package is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Locate Your Package
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Locate Your Package, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Locate Your Package and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Locate Your Package should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.