Wishapp is under the category of Adware that many computer users find annoying when installed on the computer. This program arrives on Mac system along with freeware or shareware. Users are often unaware that free software now comes as bundles. They are downloading what they taught are useful program, but never they realize that there are collection of adware with it. So, Wishapp is not the only PUP you may get from freeware. The bundle may also include variants like WebShoppy, My ShopBot, and many others.
Some computer users who bumped into Wishapp are mostly those that do not mind online security. A simple anti-malware program can guard your online browsing and block internet traffic that it finds suspicious. Above all, it is still better to rely on known and reliable program rather than compromised your computer’s security with costless application such as Wishapp.
If in case Wishapp is installed on the computer, there will be instant obvious changes on the browser. The adware may include toolbars and links that are relevant on other features. Wishapp also influences default search tool and home page through browser extensions it has integrated during installation.
In general, Wishapp may appear like a worthy open source instant messaging application for Mac OS X system. However, during analysis, we found out that it is part of Adware family where other infamous PUP’s also belongs. Thus, we highly encourage users to remove Wishapp from the computer to avoid any further harm.
Online Security Scanner Report for wishapp.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Wishapp Adware from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of Wishapp from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Wishapp
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Wishapp, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Wishapp, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Wishapp
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Wishapp to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most recent ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Wishapp.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Wishapp.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Wishapp is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Wishapp from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Wishapp.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Wishapp custom search engine.