WeatherAddon is promoted as browser extension that provides quick weather update and forecast for any locations in the world. This seems to be useful if not only for the malicious intention hidden on this program. Users may perceive WeatherAddon as worthy tool at first glance because it is really a functioning weather forecaster with user-friendly and adjustable interface. Therefore, everything might seem reasonable, but all of its functions were just presented to cover up the real motive.
The moment this potentially unwanted program discharge its payload, user may experience excessive display of advertisements on the browser. Pop-ups, redirects, full-page banner and paid links are just some of the overwhelming ads that may flood the browser. Not to mention that WeatherAddon can dominate search tool that may also mislead users with paid links instead of showing an actual search result.
WeatherAddon is very comparable to other adware from the same family like Web Genie and ArcadeTab. They were all created in the primary objective of generating online revenue by exploiting user’s browser application. Moreover, they will take advantage of the opportunity while user is surfing the internet. Aside from generating ads, WeatherAddon may also collect vital information from the browser including search keywords, favorite websites, and personal data. Attackers often misuse gathered information to enhance advertising prowess on the compromised browser and serve ads that will be more appealing to users.
It is obvious that WeatherAddon is more of a nuisance. It is not a favorable tool as what it claims on official website. Therefore, we made a simple guide below to properly remove it from the computer just in case users finds a complexity in getting rid of this adware.
WeatherAddon Removal Procedures
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove WeatherAddon from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove WeatherAddon from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If WeatherAddon persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove WeatherAddon from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete WeatherAddon by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of WeatherAddon removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from WeatherAddon. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by WeatherAddon. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall WeatherAddon
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove WeatherAddon entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to WeatherAddon.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including WeatherAddon and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to WeatherAddon. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.