Vid Search is classed as browser hijacker due to its very intrusive traits in dominating the internet software. Like most browser hijackers, Vid Search is assisted by a browser extension to have total control on internet browser application including Google Chrome, Safari, or Edge. This part captures the concern of computer security analyst. According to their observation, Vid Search usually enters the computer uninvited. Malicious software bundles often carry this potentially unwanted program (PUP) inside the computer and install it even without the consent of user.
Another way that has been successful in propagating Vid Search is via malicious advertising campaign. This is a technique where Vid Search is promoted as useful tool that provides fast online searching especially when looking for videos and relevant media. It replaces homepage settings with Portal.vid-search.com to materialize such feature. In addition, Vid Search claims to enhance online surfing and searching performance once it is installed on the browser.
Is Vid Search a virus?
There is still no indication that can connect Vid Search to a computer virus. As of this moment, it is listed under the category of Adware or PUP. Computer viruses are very harmful kind of threat that mostly targets the operating system and critical files. While activities of Vid Search focuses on dominating browser programs to accomplish its task of assigning a default search engine and generate revenue by displaying ads.
Also, the infiltration of Vid Search on the computer is commonly achieved via user’s carelessness when downloading freeware, shareware, or suspicious third party program. Meaning, user’s negligence and faulty assessment of freeware lead to Vid Search infection.
Reasons why you need to remove Vid Search
Aside from being a member of adware family where Ghost Search, Search Series, and Smooth Search also belongs. The value of Vid Search is a rundown as compare to legitimate search engine and homepage default search tool. So, why bother replacing the worthy one with this unknown provider.
As an adware, Vid Search was designed to exhibit advertisements on internet pages that do not care whether it distracts web user’s visibility. Ads by Vid Search may show up on different areas that often blocks the view of internet user.
Lastly, Vid Search sources their ads from an underground advertising network. It can display marketing links that can when clicked may land the browser to unofficial software update page that mean to install malware on visitor’s computer.
Vid Search Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Vid Search.
Remove Vid Search Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Vid Search or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Vid Search Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Vid Search and remove it from the browser.
Remove Vid Search Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Vid Search from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Vid Search is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Vid Search or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Vid Search on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Vid Search.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Vid Search.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Vid Search.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Vid Search.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Vid Search and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Vid Search
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Vid Search is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Vid Search
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Vid Search, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Vid Search and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Vid Search should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.