UpdateAdmin is a suspicious browser extension that can trick Mac users by endorsing itself as a valuable tool to have a better online searching and browsing experience. However, looking at the icon and its browser information interface, we can verify that UpdateAdmin belongs to a large group of adware and in fact, we can count Update_3239, AnalyzerSearch, and Optimal Record as its predecessors. All of these browser extensions including UpdateAdmin app are threats to ones online privacy and security. Though, Mac computer security experts discloses that UpdateAdmin is not a virus and is listed under the category of potentially unwanted application (PUA).
UpdateAdmin is not a computer virus
As stated above, malware researchers and security experts are not considering UpdateAdmin app as computer virus. Here are some of the comparison to give a better view that UpdateAdmin is not as hazardous as computer viruses.
It is not infectious – Viruses can integrate codes on files especially system data and this is not the task of UpdateAdmin. Moreover, the only target of this PUA are internet browser applications, particularly those that are operating on Mac OS environment.
UpdateAdmin do not propagate – Computer viruses transmit other infections after contaminating the computer and this was not observed on the presence of UpdateAdmin app. Once it is settled on the internet program as browser extension, it remains on that application and do no proliferate on other programs or neighboring computers.
High visibility – Computer viruses commonly concealed its processes and files once it infects the computer. Normally, copies of virus files are hidden deeply into System folder. UpdateAdmin is very visible on the browser (see image below) and actually, its is present on Applications folder and Dock of Mac OS. With that, we can say that it is much easier to deal with the removal of UpdateAdmin app due to visible locations of relevant files.
What to do with UpdateAdmin App?
Although this subject is not a virus, we still do not recommend to let it sit on the computer even for a while. As stated, Mac users online privacy and security is at risk while UpdateAdmin is present on internet program. Ads it may project can contain malicious links that drive the browser pages to different malicious sites, which are often the source of adware and malware.
For complete solution to remove UpdateAdmin adware, please see the next segment. Also provided are anti-virus and anti-malware tools that you can freely use to check if Mac computer is infected with relevant malware.
Procedures to Remove UpdateAdmin from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like UpdateAdmin. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing UpdateAdmin.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete UpdateAdmin from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find UpdateAdmin or any unwanted program.
4. Drag UpdateAdmin to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to UpdateAdmin
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located UpdateAdmin, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed UpdateAdmin
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Update_3239, AnalyzerSearch, Update Admin App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing UpdateAdmin to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Update_3239, AnalyzerSearch, Update Admin App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to UpdateAdmin adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including UpdateAdmin.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, UpdateAdmin is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove UpdateAdmin from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove UpdateAdmin from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing UpdateAdmin. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace UpdateAdmin settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by UpdateAdmin. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select UpdateAdmin or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with UpdateAdmin.