Total Mac Fixer is a supposed Macintosh security and booster application. But since it originates from the PCVARK rogue software group, Mac security experts directly categorized it as potentially unwanted application (PUA) even though it was just recently released. As PUA, Total Mac Fixer normally arrives on Mac computers as an element packed to a number of downloadable freeware and shareware that may come from questionable sources like dubious file-sharing networks or software piracy websites.
Official online pages of Total Mac Fixer claims that this system utility application comes with general security and optimization features that helps Mac users in removing viruses and maintaining OS in tip-top condition. To align itself with legitimate security products, Total Mac Fixer also offers malware scanning mechanism and real-time protection to guard the computer from online attacks and infectious objects. Mac security professionals remind computer users not to be influenced by these promising functions. Instead, observed how it manages to enter the computer without their approval. That alone is a proof that Total Mac Fixer has a corrupt motive.
When Total Mac Fixer is active on the computer, it frequently issues pop-ups alerts and warnings that shows several identified issues on the computer. Bear in mind that Total Mac Fixer is a rogue application and was developed in the tradition of publishing counterfeit tools like Speedup Mac Pro and Boost My Mac. These phony system optimizer are employing scare tactics to mislead Mac users so that they may be easily convinced to purchase the Total Mac Fixer registration key.
It is very obvious that Total Mac Fixer was made solely to deceive Mac users and extort money from innocent victims by exhibiting exaggerated virus findings and non-existent system issues. So, never obtain the registered version of Total Mac Fixer as its pop-ups constantly recommends. Instead, perform quick removal of this rogue tool to restore order on Mac computer.
Procedures to Remove Total Mac Fixer
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Total Mac Fixer. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Total Mac Fixer.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Total Mac Fixer rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Total Mac Fixer Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Total Mac Fixer window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Total Mac Fixer. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Total Mac Fixer. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Total Mac Fixer Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Total Mac Fixer during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Total Mac Fixer.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Total Mac Fixer from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Total Mac Fixer Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Total Mac Fixer Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Total Mac Fixer or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Total Mac Fixer to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Total Mac Fixer
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- Total Mac Fixer.app
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Total Mac Fixer to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Total Mac Fixer.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Total Mac Fixer is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.
Post Last Modified On July 10, 2020