Startab.me is offered as valid internet search engine. At first, user may find no irregularities nor sense any harm on the appearance of the site. It is a plain looking search engine like Google, Bing, or any other legitimate search tool. Yet, some computer users accept Startab.me without hesitation. Nonetheless, be aware that computer security professionals warn against the use of such unknown search tool. It may cause some risk on the computer.
Similar to other hijacker like Sear4m.xyz and Search.cubokit.com, Startab.me comes from software bundles. These are set of programs and adware packed into one installer file. By incorporating adware and other unwanted programs into freeware, software publisher earns money via pay-per-install scheme. This is a win-win situation for both the adware makers and freeware developers.
When Startab.me gets inside the computer, it was designed to change certain settings on the browser. Homepage and default search engine is the primary target of this adware. Both areas will be assigned to utilize Startab.me website. The adware then installs internet cookies with sole function of monitoring your internet activities. It gathers data like visited sites, search inquiries, and other relevant online information. Adware makers are boundless to use collected data even for malicious purposes.
Extensions and other codes on the computer that are placed by Startab.me serves as obstruction to your net surfing. These add-ons are the grounds why you are experiencing excessive display of advertisements and redirects. So, to stop such annoyances, you have to remove Startab.me.
Below is a complete guide to help you get rid of the adware. Also included are tools and scanner to find and delete hidden nasty objects from Windows system.
Online Security Scanner Report for startab.me:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||July 15, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No data||July 15, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||July 15, 2016|
Startab.me Browser Hijacker Removal Procedure
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Startab.me home page hijacker. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Startab.me. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Startab.me. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Startab.me Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Startab.me from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Startab.me on the affected browser.
Stage 4 (Optional): Reset the Browser to Remove Startab.me
If the tools offered above are not helpful in restoring your browser to previous normal state, adware may still be present. Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on or extension is vital when dealing with Startab.me. The procedure below will guide you to reset various browsers to its default state.
Remove Startab.me from Google (Reset Feature)
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard:
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Startab.me. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Chrome Cleanup Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Remove Startab.me from Internet Explorer (Reset Settings)
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Startab.me and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Remove Startab.me from Mozilla Firefox (Refresh Function)
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Startab.me.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and go to Troubleshooting Information page by typing this in the address bar: about:support
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a Tune Up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Startab.me should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.