Browser hijackers are known to be an annoying type of computer threat that supersedes the default homepage and search engine on infected internet software. It causes too much annoyance by displaying so many kinds of aggressive advertisements that makes web users suffer too much. One browser extension that fits this threat description is called Splash New Tab. It is actually a program that is marketed as a tool that is helpful by improving start-page and provides beautiful wallpaper background. In addition, Splash New Tab endorsement pages and ads assert that it specializes in enriching online browsing and search experience of users.
Splash New Tab may seem to be a reliable browser extension because of its neat-looking homepage but most web user must be aware that it possesses the skills of potentially unwanted program (PUP). People behind Splash New Tab are making use of several deceitful tactics to install the application even web user have no desire of having it. This unsolicited access of Splash New Tab on the browser is deemed by some user as element virus infection. Hence, computer security analyst theoretically categorized Splash New Tab as PUP. In addition, it also matches the description of Adware because it was made to display ads on the infected browser program as its moneymaking module.
The continued presence of Splash New Tab on internet program could be the basis for addition contamination. This adware have ad display malpractice where it has no controls in exhibiting advertisements and do not concern if it causes distraction to web users browsing activities. Splash New Tab will persistently issue pop-ups, redirects, banners, and push notification, which contain links that can drive web users to malicious sites.
Before it causes further harm, web user must focus on the removal of Splash New Tab. We made a simple guide on this page that will be helpful in deleting the threat from browser applications including Google Chrome, Safari, and Mozilla Firefox. Also included are virus and malware scanners to locate and delete concealed objects that are relevant to Splash New Tab adware.
Splash New Tab Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Splashnewtab.net hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Splash New Tab Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Splash New Tab.
Remove Splash New Tab Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Splash New Tab or relevant entry like Splashnewtab.net and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Splash New Tab Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Splash New Tab and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Splashnewtab.net is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Splash New Tab Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Splash New Tab from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Splashnewtab.net from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Splash New Tab is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Splashnewtab.net, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Splash New Tab or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove Splash New Tab automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Splash New Tab that assigns Splashnewtab.net as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Splash New Tab.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Splash New Tab and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Splash New Tab browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Splashnewtab.net still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Splash New Tab on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Splashnewtab.net pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Splash New Tab.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Splash New Tab. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Splashnewtab.net.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Splash New Tab. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Splash New Tab. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Splash New Tab. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Splash New Tab.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Splash New Tab extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Splash New Tab. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Splash New Tab should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Splash New Tab and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Post Last Modified On July 27, 2020