Speedup My Mac is marketed as useful application that keeps computer clean and clutter free. In addition, it claims to boost system performance and start up speed of Mac when installed and fully activated. The catch is, Mac user needs to pay for the subscription fee before they can access all the features of Speedup My Mac.
Before proceeding with the purchase of this app, Mac user must be educated that Speedup My Mac originates from notorious rogue software group called PCVARK. Actually, this recent release is a remake and obviously comparable to older variants named Advanced Mac Booster, Cleanup My Mac, and Mac Tweak . Having any of these program on the system is a sign that computer have been infiltrated and certain security measures must be executed including thorough virus scanning.
The usual way for Speedup My Mac to sneak onto the computer is via deceptive advertising campaign where users are tricked with online scanner results. The pop-up or redirect page simulates a system scan that often ended up identifying a number of system errors and issues that needs fixing. It is timely that on this scenario, the page will advise the download and installation of repair program, which is actually Speedup My Mac trial version.
After installation, Speedup My Mac once again would run a local system scan and this time, it itemized critical areas of concern that requires immediate repair. As what goes with nearly all rogue tool, this fake optimizer opens up a payment window each time Mac user attempts to deal with system issues.
To sum up, Speedup My Mac is a useless application that solely aims in swindling money from Mac users by making it appear that computer is problematic. Same old scare tactics employ by bogus software. Therefore, we highly encourage immediate removal of Speedup My Mac. Follow the procedures below to get rid of the threat using only trusted and legitimate security program.
Procedures to Remove Speedup My Mac
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Speedup My Mac. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Speedup My Mac.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Speedup My Mac Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Speedup My Mac window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Speedup My Mac. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Speedup My Mac. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Speedup My Mac Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Speedup My Mac during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Speedup My Mac.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Speedup My Mac from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Speedup My Mac
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- Speedup My Mac.app
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Speedup My Mac to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Speedup My Mac
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Speedup My Mac.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Speedup My Mac is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.