SmartResultsRemote is an adware that pretends as valuable application claiming to enhance online searching and browsing experience of Mac users. However, after installing the app on the computer, the internet program starts to reveal unusual behavior. SmartResultsRemote overrides the settings of online search. Instead of Google, the search is being redirected to a couple of websites before showing the final search outcome on Yahoo.
Aside from search hijacking, operation of SmartResultsRemote entails for online profiteering and because of this, Mac user may witness streams of advertisements on the browser program. Pop-ups, redirects, push alerts, and so on. All of these channels will be utilized to display dubious ads in different forms and sizes. Bear in mind that ads emerging from SmartResultsRemote could be the basis for the download and installation of similar threats like AnalyzerSource, TotalConsoleSearch, and TechResultsSearch.
SmartResultsRemoteDaemon Warning on Mac
Considering the above information, it is not safe to use the browser application as long as it is infected with SmartResultsRemote. The search function was meant to divert the browser pages to attacker’s server in order to extract browsing details. There are also codes on the internet program implanted by SmartResultsRemote on the early stage of the attack. This one intends to log personal identifiable information of user and it may target username, password, contact details, and IP address.
Fortunately, the several layers of protection on Mac computer is able to identify these illicit activities by the unwanted browser extension. In fact, it continuously pop-ups “SmartResultsRemoteDaemon will damage you computer,” signaling that Mac user must remove this app. Neglecting this alert could lead to much greater computer issues like virus and malware infections. Hence, immediately getting rid of SmartResultsRemote saves the device from further harm. To help with this task, we are providing simple guide on this page together with virus and malware scanners that are proven effective in deleting malicious objects associated to adware like SmartResultsRemote.
Procedures to Remove SmartResultsRemote from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like SmartResultsRemote. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing SmartResultsRemote.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete SmartResultsRemote from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find SmartResultsRemote or any unwanted program.
4. Drag SmartResultsRemote to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to SmartResultsRemote
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located SmartResultsRemote, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed SmartResultsRemote
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Adload, SmartResultsRemoteDaemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing SmartResultsRemote to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Adload, SmartResultsRemoteDaemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to SmartResultsRemote adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including SmartResultsRemote.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, SmartResultsRemote is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove SmartResultsRemote from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove SmartResultsRemote from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing SmartResultsRemote. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace SmartResultsRemote settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by SmartResultsRemote. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select SmartResultsRemote or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with SmartResultsRemote.
How to Protect Mac from SmartResultsRemote infection?
One way to avoid computer threats is to install an effective anti-virus or anti-malware tool. Some prefer to have both on their computer. This option is feasible; hence, running these security programs side-by-side may exhaust too much system resources that apparently deteriorates the overall performance of Mac computer.
Ideally, one security application is enough coupled with vigilant online browsing. Having said that, user must stay away from unknown and suspicious website and downloading any kinds of software from these sources must not transpire.