Smart Searching Tab is a browser extension, which official website Smartsearching.net is endorsing as a tool that enhances internet browsing and searching experience of online users especially if they utilized the dedicated search engine at Hp.hsmartsearching.net.
It is considered as browser hijacker because of its malicious behavior on injecting itself into computers without knowledge of web users. Developers of Smart Searching Tab execute a deceptive marketing technique to spread this invasive program. Through freeware “bundling”, installation of Smart Searching Tab is possible. There are software bundles available on the internet free of charge, which includes Smart Searching Tab on the package. Online users do not really notice the penetration of unwanted application like Smart Searching Tab. Typically, software bundles do not reveal that there is Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) or adware included on the package. It will be too late for online users to see the unsolicited installation of PUP when it starts to exhibit suspicious behaviors on the browser.
Smart Searching Tab begins its operations by making alterations on web browser settings. The usual homepage, new tab page, and search engine will show the unwanted Hp.hsmartsearching.net homepage. Results provided by this questionable web address could be unreliable and inaccurate. Furthermore, Smart Searching Tab can present internet users with questionable web pages, containing unexpected and undesirable subjects. It can also generate intrusive advertisements and pop-ups that connect to dubious websites such as mature-oriented sites, illegal streaming platforms, or intrusive promotional sites, which are unsuitable for web visitors. Furthermore, ads by Smart Searching Tab can install similar-unwanted program into computer, to cause more damage in the operating system.
Infections of Smart Searching Tab on the computers could also lead to privacy issues. This unwanted program and its search engine Hp.hsmartsearching.net are able to track browsing activities and confidential information of web users. Such private data can be exposed to cyber criminals and use it for generating income by blackmailing, or exploiting money from their victims. Note that, a simple installation of an unwanted program could result into petty problems that may become serious in the future. It is better to remove Smart Searching Tab from computers as soon as possible to avoid further adware or malware infection.
Smart Searching Tab Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Smart Searching Tab.
Remove Smart Searching Tab Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Smart Searching Tab or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Smart Searching Tab Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Smart Searching Tab and remove it from the browser.
Remove Smart Searching Tab Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Smart Searching Tab from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Smart Searching Tab is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Smart Searching Tab or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Smart Searching Tab on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Smart Searching Tab.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Smart Searching Tab.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Smart Searching Tab.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Smart Searching Tab.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Smart Searching Tab and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Stage 4: Remove Smartsearching.net Pop-up Notification
These procedures in stopping Smartsearching.net pop-up notification may only be effective if relevant extension do not exist on the browser. If ever there is a relevant extension currently installed, this push notification configuration will reinstate during browser start-up. So, make sure that you have removed any malicious extension from the browser before executing the following steps.
For Google Chrome Users
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following strings in the address box and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings/content/notifications
3. Navigate to “Allow” section and find Smartsearching.net from the list.
4. Click on More Actions and select Block from the options.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox Users
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser program.
2. Type the following strings on address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences#privacy
3. Under Permissions section, click on Settings button beside Notifications.
4. Look for Smartsearching.net and set the status to Block.
5. Lastly, click Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Smart Searching Tab
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Smart Searching Tab is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Smart Searching Tab
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Smart Searching Tab, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Smart Searching Tab and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Smart Searching Tab should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.