Smart Mac Cleaner is a rogue computer optimization and security tool. The program itself seems to be expertly designed and gives user an impression that it is worthy to keep their Mac computer in perfect running condition. Hence, there are substantial evidence that Smart Mac Cleaner bears the trademark of misleading programs including the likes of MAC Defender, Cleanup My Mac, Mac Auto Fixer, and many others.
The false scan-and-detect technique applied by Smart Mac Cleaner to overwhelm the system with misleading findings is at least a decade old scheme, and merely conducted in an attempt to scare victims. Furthermore, this mind conditioning practice is not confined to illusory system inspection concept. Smart Mac Cleaner additionally displays irritating pop-ups messages and warnings to which it attempts to prove that scan results are affirmative. While intimidating users with quantity of identified infections, the fake software combines the report with secondary system performance errors to give a notion that repairing Mac system with Smart Mac Cleaner is an urgent necessity.
Included in its brainwashing sense is to establish users trust to release some funds for the fully functional version of the product. Aside from fixing the troubled computer, Smart Mac Cleaner asserts that it has exceptional features to maintain system performance at its peak level. Virus and malware is also said to be another principal concern, thus, safety and security attributes are merge into the optimization process.
Remember that all computer faults, glitches, and security findings, which overwhelm the system, are scare tactics in an attempt to force victims into obtaining the paid version of Smart Mac Cleaner. Instead of giving into this demand, it is much simpler to just uninstall the program completely and execute a thorough virus and malware scanning to remove any associated mess from Mac computer.
Procedures to Remove Smart Mac Cleaner
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Smart Mac Cleaner. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Smart Mac Cleaner.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Smart Mac Cleaner rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Smart Mac Cleaner Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Smart Mac Cleaner window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Smart Mac Cleaner. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Smart Mac Cleaner. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Smart Mac Cleaner Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Smart Mac Cleaner during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Smart Mac Cleaner.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Smart Mac Cleaner from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Smart Mac Cleaner Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Smart Mac Cleaner Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Smart Mac Cleaner or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Smart Mac Cleaner to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Smart Mac Cleaner
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Smart Mac Cleaner to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Smart Mac Cleaner
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Smart Mac Cleaner.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Smart Mac Cleaner is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.