Smart Mac Care states that it ensures complete protection against infections like malware, spyware, adware, and so on. However, during diagnostics, we noticed that all threats detected by this program are just part of scare tactics. Smart Mac Care belongs to a group of rogue application that spreads over the internet by bundling itself to freeware and malicious third-party applications. There are also instances that Smart Mac Care gets inside the computer via misleading pop-ups alerts originating from a number of questionable websites. These sites normally issue fake warning that deceives web users to download and install Smart Mac Care.
Once successfully installed, this program instantly scans the computer for possible infections. In just a couple of minutes, Smart Mac Care can identify thousands of threat, which is not normal. Legitimate security applications allow more time to thoroughly scan the system. This doubtful diagnosis by Smart Mac Care leads us to run the program to another machine and we can confirm that it produces identical results. This only denotes that it does not actually checking the system but rather running an exhibition to mislead users and make them believe that computer is infected with various threats.
With these findings, we can confirm that Smart Mac Care is just a rogue program made solely to steal money from Macintosh users. Therefore, we highly suggest removing it from the computer as soon as possible. To totally get rid of Smart Mac Care, please execute the guide on this page in exact order. Also, scan the computer with recommended tools to locate and delete malicious objects linked to Smart Mac Care.
Procedures to Remove Smart Mac Care
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Smart Mac Care. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Smart Mac Care.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Smart Mac Care rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Smart Mac Care Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Smart Mac Care window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Smart Mac Care. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Smart Mac Care. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Smart Mac Care Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Smart Mac Care during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Smart Mac Care.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Smart Mac Care from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Smart Mac Care Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Smart Mac Care Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Smart Mac Care or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Smart Mac Care to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Smart Mac Care
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Smart Mac Care to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Smart Mac Care.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Smart Mac Care is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.