ShoppyTool or Shoppy Tool is a suspicious program, which often invade browsers such as Google Chrome and Safari. This adware was made to attack Mac system. Although, the official web site declares that Windows and Mobile version is on its way.
Security experts listed ShoppyTool in the category of potentially unwanted program (PUP). It was developed in the purpose of deceiving user on its original intention. This application is promoted as a tool that can gives user quick access to coupons, savings, deals, and other online offers. But once user runs the program, bunch of ShoppyTool ads keeps on displaying on the browser. Make no mistake; this adware aims to install its code into the browser for the purpose of advertising scheme. ShoppyTool adware is devoted in making online profit by publishing all sorts of ads like pop-up, banners, full-page, and so on.
Ads by ShoppyTool comes from questionable advertising network. There is a chance that these ads will promote illicit software and malicious products. Links coming from doubtful ads may also cause deeper troubles. Moreover, ads shown by ShoppyTool causes inconvenience to most users especially those that are not fascinated to online shopping. For them, ads are obstruction to their browsing window and diminish system performance of the computer.
In general, ShoppyTool is not totally safe to use. It can gain control on the computer and browser even without user’s intention. It is best for the security of the computer to remove ShoppyTool as soon as possible. The sooner you get rid of it, the lesser chance that it can add more harm on your Mac system.
Online Security Scanner Report for macshoppytool.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 06, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 06, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: July 06, 2016|
Procedures to Remove ShoppyTool Adware from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of ShoppyTool from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ShoppyTool
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. ShoppyTool, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ShoppyTool, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed ShoppyTool
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clickboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the ShoppyTool to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most recent ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ShoppyTool.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including ShoppyTool.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, ShoppyTool is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove ShoppyTool from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from ShoppyTool.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override ShoppyTool custom search engine.