SearchWiki or Searchwiki.info is considered as online threat or to be specific, it is under the classification of browser hijacker. These browser hijackers are often malicious browser extension that spreads online using a mischief infiltration scheme. Web users may acquire SearchWiki from pop-up advertisements that greets web users when paying a visit to illicit sites that are involve in copyright infringement or software piracy. Aside from misleading pop-up ads, SearchWiki browser extension can penetrate a computer if user executes pirated software or any software-cracking executable files. This direct infection installs SearchWiki on the browser while user is running a software setup; hence, they were not informed about the connected adware.
Those mentioned deployment scheme are just some minor things that adware makers are doing in relation to spreading SearchWiki. The major propagation scheme lies behind a bundled package that is now being promoted online as software update, especially those that are purporting to be from Adobe. Web users normally encounters these “software update” pop-ups that appears to be a legitimate warning message. Indeed, these are advertisements masking as system warnings to easily sway computer users into downloading the bogus software patches.
Having said that, web users can easily avoid SearchWiki by being cautious while surfing the internet. Most of all do not trust pop-up ads prompting to download software updates as most of them were made to lure web users. If there is a need for an update, it is safer to obtain them from legitimate and official websites.
If SearchWiki browser hijacker is present, the only way to eliminate this threat is to remove the associated add-on. Then, we suggest scanning the computer with effective virus and malware removal tools to search for relevant harmful objects and automatically deletes them.
SearchWiki Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Searchwiki.info hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete SearchWiki Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to SearchWiki.
Remove SearchWiki Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find SearchWiki or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall SearchWiki Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to SearchWiki and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Searchwiki.info is also gone from the homepage.
Remove SearchWiki Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of SearchWiki from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Searchwiki.info from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If SearchWiki is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Searchwiki.info, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select SearchWiki or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove SearchWiki automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like SearchWiki that assigns Searchwiki.info as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to SearchWiki.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including SearchWiki and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the SearchWiki browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Searchwiki.info still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of SearchWiki on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Searchwiki.info pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by SearchWiki.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to SearchWiki. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Searchwiki.info.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by SearchWiki. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with SearchWiki. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from SearchWiki. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of SearchWiki.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed SearchWiki extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to SearchWiki. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. SearchWiki should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by SearchWiki and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.