SearchGamez is a browser extension that is promoted as helpful tool especially if web user is looking for free online games. In addition, it claims that after installation, web user may experience improvement in online browsing and searching activities due to added functions by SearchGamez.
In reality, SearchGamez is categorized as potentially unwanted program (PUP) that operates as browser hijacker. Makers of this adware are employing deceptive marketing methods to spread the program and influence web users for its unchallenged installation. Technically, web users are not informed in most of the installation sequence carried out by SearchGamez. The browser extension is commonly attached to freeware or software that any computer users can download from different sources freely.
During installation of the freeware, web users do not get a hint of the SearchGamez installation and the process is not willing to divulge the inclusion of the browser extension that goes with the flow of the freeware setup. Therefore, most users are astounded on the sudden presence of SearchGamez especially that it appoints Search-gamez.com as the default homepage and search provider. Some even assess this invasion as computer virus infection.
In the evaluation of computer security experts, there is no valid reason to consider SearchGamez as part of virus group. The threat is invasive but obviously, it is not contagious and does not inflict harm on the operating system and files. SearchGamez fits the description of PUP because of misleading techniques being employed to penetrate the browser program. The fact is, computer users have all the option to thwart its installation by running the freeware setup through Advanced or Custom method. Since nearly all computer clients are opting for default installation process, they ended up installing all the surplus programs embedded to freeware and that includes SearchGamez.
To remove SearchGamez from the infected browser program, please follow the steps from this page. This procedure is also helpful in restoring the homepage and search engine that was taken over by Search-gamez.com.
SearchGamez Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer. The guide includes procedures to remove the unwanted URL Search-gamez.com that may have taken over the homepage.
In order to totally eliminate the adware SearchGamez and its relevant malicious domain Search-gamez.com, it is vital to follow the remove process in exact manner.
Instant Removal : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove SearchGamez automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering internet browser threat like SearchGamez that slows down online browsing activities. Right after the threat removal, the unwanted web address Search-gamez.com from homepage is expected to be eliminated too.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to SearchGamez as well as Search-gamez.com pop-ups and hijacker.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats because one of those might be the responsible for showing of SearchGamez. Please restart the computer when necessary.
The chances of stopping Search-gamez.com pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Search-gamez.com pop-up removal guide.
The computer should now be free from SearchGamez. If you feel that the above solution is not sufficient in getting rid of the browser hijacker, please proceed with the succeeding steps.
Step 1 : Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using an add-on called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. This is the reason why Search-gamez.com is set on homepage and search tool. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to SearchGamez.
Remove SearchGamez Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find SearchGamez or relevant entry like Search-gamez.com and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall SearchGamez Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to SearchGamez or Search-gamez.com and remove it from the browser.
Remove SearchGamez Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of SearchGamez from Toolbars and Extension and remove Search-gamez.com Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If SearchGamez is still present on the IE browser and homepage is still under the control of Search-gamez.com, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select SearchGamez or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of SearchGamez on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications that also causes Search-gamez.com pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by SearchGamez and Search-gamez.com.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions (SearchGamez), plug-ins, adware, and pop-up makers like Search-gamez.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for SearchGamez and any possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, as well as unwanted homepage like Search-gamez.com.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like SearchGamez. The tool is also helpful in eliminating the source of Search-gamez.com pop-ups and redirects.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to SearchGamez and other suspicious entities that redirects the homepage to Search-gamez.com. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option : Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from SearchGamez
Not all adware and PUP's are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instance, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If SearchGamez is still bothering you after completing all the steps above and Search-gamez.com pop-ups and homepage remains, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete SearchGamez
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete SearchGamez, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by SearchGamez adware and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating "Give Firefox a Tune Up". Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. SearchGamez should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox. Homepage should now reveal the legitimate URL and not Search-gamez.com.
How to remove Search-gamez.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Search-gamez.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Search-gamez.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Search-gamez.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Search-gamez.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Search-gamez.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Search-gamez.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Search-gamez.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Search-gamez.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Search-gamez.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Search-gamez.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Search-gamez.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Search-gamez.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.