If homepage and search tool are utilizing the unwanted URL like Searchtheconverter.com, it is likely that computer is infected with Search The Converter adware. This homepage hijacker can penetrate the computer using various tactics and cleverly evades security as well as user’s authorization. Makers of Search The Converter have different channels of distribution to infect the browser with this malicious code and because of this, it was dubbed as potentially unwanted program (PUP).
Search The Converter Distribution Scheme
As mentioned, actors behind this malicious browser extension rely on different tactics to widely spread Search The Converter over the internet. Here are some of the favored distribution schemes:
Malicious Software Installer
By embedding Search The Converter to different software installers, attackers are confident that target victims may accidentally install the adware when the software setup is executed. This scheme can run a simultaneous installation process while only one instance is visible to users. Aside from freeware, it was also observed that Search The Converter is similarly bundled to cracked programs and serial key generators.
Fake Software Update
Another scheme that attacker’s are utilizing to deploy Search The Converter is via fake software update. This is the current trend to mislead web users into acquiring the unwanted program. The method employs a pop-up advertisement masquerading as system alert. It allegedly detects issues due to outdated program and prompts web user for immediate download of the suggested software update. If user falls into this trick, it will pave the way for Search The Converter to enter the computer.
This scheme also uses pop-up ads. However, the approach on this one is much aggressive due to unrelenting display of ads promoting Search The Converter as a valuable browser extension that enhances online browsing and searching experience of web user. Web users may encounter these ads from suspicious sites like Bussaidbag.casa, Ttoc8ok.com, Wiohj.com, and many more.
Searchtheconverter.com Browser Hijacker
The moment that Search The Converter is installed, it waste no time in altering the homepage and assigns Searchtheconverter.com. This becomes the search provider and therefore, each time that web user performs an online search, the inquiry is redirected to Searchtheconverter.com. The motive behind this redirect is to extract vital information from every queries submitted by online user.
With Searchtheconverter.com as the default search engine, user may never acquire the same useful results prior to the infection when legitimate search engine is still in charge. With the new unreliable search tool by Searchtheconverter.com, the search result page is frequently filled with paid links and other malicious ads.
To conclude, Search The Converter is a malicious browser extension that calls for immediate removal in order to restore the browser to its previous good working condition. Scan the computer with effective virus and malware removal tool to eliminate the threat. Complete steps to get rid of this adware is the topic on the next sections.
Online Security Scanner Report for Searchtheconverter.com
|Online Scanner||Scan Findings||Updated on||Google Safe Browsing||No unsafe content found||Oct. 10, 2020|
|Norton Safe Web||Not yet rated||Oct. 10, 2020|
|Sucuri SiteCheck||Low Security Risk||Oct. 10, 2020|
Search The Converter Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Searchtheconverter.com hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Search The Converter Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Search The Converter.
Remove Search The Converter Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Search The Converter or relevant entry like Searchtheconverter.com and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Search The Converter Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Search The Converter and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Searchtheconverter.com is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Search The Converter Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Search The Converter from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Searchtheconverter.com from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Search The Converter is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Searchtheconverter.com, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Search The Converter or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove Search The Converter automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Search The Converter that assigns Searchtheconverter.com as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Search The Converter.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Search The Converter and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The chances of stopping Searchtheconverter.com pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Searchtheconverter.com pop-up removal guide.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Search The Converter browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Searchtheconverter.com still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Search The Converter on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Searchtheconverter.com pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Search The Converter.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Search The Converter. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Searchtheconverter.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
In addition to the procedures above, resetting the affected browser program and clearing the cache are extra methods to completely eliminate Search The Converter. You can execute the guide on resetting internet browser below.
Procedures to Remove Search The Converter from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove the subject malicious browser extension from internet software. In the same manner, the procedure is helpful in stopping Searchtheconverter.com pop-ups and browser hijacking activities.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser extension like Search The Converter that is responsible for displaying Searchtheconverter.com homepage and pop-ups. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Search The Converter.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat. The following guides are also vital in deleting Searchtheconverter.com from the browser configuration.
Step 1 : Delete Search The Converter from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Search The Converter or any unwanted program.
4. Drag Search The Converter to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Search The Converter
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Search The Converter or any relevant item like Searchtheconverter.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Search The Converter
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
- Converter Search Tool, Polarity
On some occassions, the malware is represented by a domain name that is closely related to the subject. Like in this case, it can be Searchtheconverter.com.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Search The Converter to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad and open Activity Monitor (Under Utilities or Other Folder).
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Search The Converter browser extension or Searchtheconverter.com homepage hijacker.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including the Search The Converter malware and Searchtheconverter.com browser hijacker and pop-up provider.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Search The Converter is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Delete Search The Converter Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Search The Converter during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Search The Converter.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Search The Converter, , or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Search The Converter. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select , Search The Converter or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Search The Converter.
There's More... Reset Internet Browser Apps (PC and Mac)
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Search The Converter. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search The Converter. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Search The Converter.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Search The Converter extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Search The Converter. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Search The Converter should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Search The Converter and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on Manage Website Data button.
5. Select unwanted entry like Search The Converter and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logout from most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise to remove suspicious item one at a time to prevent changing behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back at the Safari Preferences window, choose Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to Safari menu, choose on Develop from the drop down list and click on on Empty Caches.
10. Next thing to do is to restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from Search The Converter.
11. Back at the Safari Preferences window, click on General tab.
12. Under Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to Safari Preferences window and click on Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search engine section.
16. You may not restart Safari browser.
How to remove Searchtheconverter.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Searchtheconverter.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Searchtheconverter.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Searchtheconverter.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Searchtheconverter.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Searchtheconverter.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Searchtheconverter.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Searchtheconverter.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Searchtheconverter.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Searchtheconverter.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Searchtheconverter.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Searchtheconverter.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Searchtheconverter.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.
Protecting the computer against Search The Converter
After the successful removal of this adware from the computer, user must enhance the security to avoid future infection. Having a decent anti-virus or anti-malware tool is still the most recommended method to efficiently protect the computer from Search The Converter or any virus infection.
It is also worth to mention that aside from having a reliable security application, staying away from malicious sites and aggressive pop-up advertisements are quite effective in avoiding any kind of threats including viruses, adware, or malware.
Post Last Modified On October 11, 2020